Southwest Accident May Be Indicative of Carrier-Specific Problem

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mach 80 said:
If an airliner attempts to land on a runway, you can rest assured something told them they could. The important thing is that accurate information is entered into the equation.

This might be the best post in this thread.

MAGNUM!! said:
What do y'all think of this:

Flew into Huntington one night with a very young 727 FDX captain. Short runway, bad wx. very low vis. He flat out told me, "okay, bra, I'm gonna fly this ILS one dot low the whole way down. It'll put us exactly where I wanna be on the runway." Sounded good to me. The dude flew a great approach exactly like he said he was gonna fly it, and we landed about 1000' feet down and stopped in plenty o' time. I liked it, since most military pilots like to land in the first 500' anyway. How do my civvie bros feel about something like the approach above? Just curious.

Magnum...you REALLY have to ask this? Are you kidding? Let me ask YOU a simple question. Lets say a Fed was giving you guys a route check, would you have let the captain fly it like he said or would you have spoken up?

Guitar rocker said:
Magnum...you REALLY have to ask this? Are you kidding? Let me ask YOU a simple question. Lets say a Fed was giving you guys a route check, would you have let the captain fly it like he said or would you have spoken up?

if the Fed was onboard and it was hard IMC, and the crew purposely flew it like that, they all would be violated

In his post, his young Captain says "it will put me right where I want to be on the runway"

I suppose that Captain himself has flight-checked the "one-dot low" scenario into that particular airport, that runway, under those conditions. I wonder if the Captain knew for certain what terrain clearance his new technique provided.

I doubt Magnum flew it like that on his interview sim ride either....

(or maybe he did, we all just learned "the trick" to passing the FDX interview)

Last edited:
matt1.1 said:
Boeingman, I suggest you read the accident investigation before misrepresenting the facts about young pilots. That accident involved two GE engines that failed to restart and a QRH that did not provide the necessary airspeed guidance for a successful restart. Nice try, old timer but again your MEMORY has failed or you are just distorting the facts and talking out your a$$.

Matt1.1, What actually got them to the point that required them to use the QRH for a dual engine flameout was the fact that they were too slow at that altitude for the given weight and the airflow was disrupted into the engines causing them to flameout. Instead of bagging on Boeing man, perhaps YOU need to have a little more respect for him and his experience and others like him, regardless of age. Dont you get it matt, we are all human and we all make mistakes. Mistakes dont just happen to older pilots as you seem to think. Step back into reality kid!

satpak77 said:
if the Fed was onboard and it was hard IMC, and the crew purposely flew it like that, they all would be violated

In his post, his young Captain says "it will put me right where I want to be on the runway"

I suppose that Captain himself has flight-checked the "one-dot low" scenario into that particular airport, that runway, under those conditions. I wonder if the Captain knew for certain what terrain clearance his new technique provided.

I doubt Magnum flew it like that on his interview sim ride either....

(or maybe he did, we all just learned "the trick" to passing the FDX interview)

Yup, they would have all gotten nailed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but performance numbers are not based on using thrust reversers, correct? It was my understanding that the reversers are an added bonus when stopping the aircraft.

Interesting, from another board:

Every aircraft that departs with Type IV on the wings loses that fluid when or shortly before they rotate, and usually at MDW with about 2,000-1,500 feet of runway remaining. The Type IV fluid is almost like a thin jelly with the idea that whatever precip you get on the fluid will come off with the fluid at rotation leaving you with a clean wing. This leaves the last ¼ to 1/3 of the runway with a bunch of slippery de-ice fluid on it. BTW, I'm not sure what happened to the SWA plane during the approach & landing phase, but there is no way that the fluid could have helped in the deceleration phase. Just food for thought guys, something to think about... I just hope the NTSB considers this, too...!!!

So, If I fly an ILS one dot low does it take me to the one dot low antenna? Now I'm no engineer but I could have sworn the glide slope signals all came from all came from the same antenna...

But Magnum what do I know, as you pointed out before I only have three posts, so I must be an idiot.

Latest resources

Back