Southern to furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

embpic1

I just heard that Southern is going to furlough 25 crews. Sorry to hear this guys. I hope it is a short one.

Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 3:11:33 PM
To: CaptainsAndFirstOfficers; FlightEngineers
Cc: Tom Gillies; David Thiel; Gary Walsh; Jim Walsh; Judy Ackley;
Dan McCauley; Jim Neff
Subject: Crew Announcement
Auto forwarded by a Rule
To all crewmembers:

Over the past three months, it has become apparent that the recovery we all hope for is not going to begin prior to the second half of this year. As all of you are aware, our industry in particular has gotten hammere d by the current recession. Every one of us has done a great job surviving this period, even as we have watched all of our competitors either go out of business or drastically reduce their workforces. We really are the “last man standing.” We had hoped that this strategy would allow us to take advantage of an early recovery in the beginning of 2009, but this is not the case, and we have seen month after month in 2009 of hugely negative cash flows. The flying is just not there right now, and we don’t see it coming back in the next few months at least.

The result is not good news. We are going to have to furlough approximately 25 crews, strictly based on seniority per our contract. We have never, ever been the type of airline that viewed crews as a variable cost, to be hired and fired for peak seasons only. This is a very different case, and the company’s entire livelihood is at stake. We cannot continue to lose money waiting for business to return in this, the worst ever economic environment for our industry. Doing so would jeopardize the ongoing operations of the entire entity.

To those of you who will be furloughed, I tell you that Southern will be the first airline to build up its fleet again out of all of our competitors, just as we were the last ones to have to make this choice. It is my plan and hope now that this decision will be short-lived, and by the fall we will be back on our feet again and will be in a position to hire you back. To those of you who remain, please work with us to continue to give our customers great service so that when the recovery comes we will be front and center for any growth needs that they may have.

This is a tough day and a tough email to write, but please trust that we are doing everything we can to fight for the continued success of the company..

Best regards,

Brian Neff

He can't help being an A ss hole, look who he works for! At least he is trying to get out of there.

I think most of the C360 guys that went to SAI may have sufficient seniority to not be affected by this furlough. Seniority integration was based on DOH at C360.

Actually Southeren changed the DOH of the last group of C360 pilots in order to gain senority for their junior pilots. One of the many reasons I chose not to be part of the merger.

Latest resources

Back