• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southern Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was afraid of this. Thai has never been successful at the all freight business. Atlas, Focus, partner with LH, all no go. I can't believe that Thai was high on the Southern list of ACMI customers, meaning there may not be much demand. EK is just using the 777 on DXB to HKG route. Good luck, there's always MAS?

Did Southern hire off the street into the 777? Will there be furloughs if no work is found for these planes, when the Thai contract is terminated?

I'm sure FedEx would like to get their hands on these planes.

Southern never wanted Thai as a long term customer, Thai was the only customer that allowed the flexibility for delivery dates and FAA proving runs. Southern ask Thai 3 months ago to give one of there planes back , when Thai asked for a reduced rates. there a long list of customers in line for them, with Korean at the top. We just renewed our contract with KA with the promise for the next 2 777. SA is still committed to there 777 plans. With two more deliver in the next 12 months. And 2 more the year after. All 777 pilots are the top of the seniority list and would flow back to the classic or 400s when they arrive these fall.

Last edited:
Southern never wanted Thai as a long term customer, Thai was the only customer that allowed the flexibility for delivery dates and FAA proving runs. Southern ask Thai 3 months ago to give one of there planes back , when Thai asked for a reduced rates. there a long list of customers in line for them, with Korean at the top. We just renewed our contract with KA with the promise for the next 2 777. SA is still committed to there 777 plans. With two more deliver in the next 12 months. And 2 more the year after. All 777 pilots are the top of the seniority list and would flow back to the classic or 400s when they arrive these fall.

Thanks for the update!

Just checked out Southern on APC. If that scale is anywhere near accurate, those guys are getting paid garbage for wide body pilots!

Is there something that I'm missing?

but besides Fedex and UPS, who really isn't getting paid garbage to fly wide body's? Even "the majors" are hugely lagging, especially for FO pay.

That was a nice thing to say.

Most of the guys and gals I know at Southern are all furloughees from other airlines who once made really good money. They are all fine aviators and good folks.

there are gals in ACMI? I've been at the 5-clowns, St. Michaels and other frequent destinations in the past 6 years on and off and yet to see one..

We had a gal who was a PFE at ATI while I was there, (mid 90's ). Not only that, she was a check engineer. Of couse boys being boys, we called her the "check chick " .

Not only that , one of my new-hire FO classmates at ATI was a girl who in her prior life was an F28 FO with Horizon.

And while flying a trip from the east coast to PHX recently , I heard an ATI flight check in on center frequency and the pilot working the radio that leg was a girl , not to mention the lady Evergreen pilot I heard talking to Anchorage Center one night on our way up to ANC just a few weeks prior to that.

So I guess it's safe to say that the ladies are out there . It just may be they are going out of their way to avoid you...;)

I keed .

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back