• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

sound familiar?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
College professor... Let me make sure I remember college correctly.

Class three days a week with summer off. New batch of young woman every year. Cancel lectures at will. Academic freedom to lecture on the lawn or the bar. Oh and by class I mean one hour three days a week.

They make a senior captain with 19 days off look like a blue collar factory grinder.

Heck I can't remember why I left.

What university did you go to? Most professors do much more than lecture three days per week. Not to mention it could take 4-5 years for a bachelors and another 6 years to earn a PhD. Many professors don't even start earning real money until they're well into their 30s--not unlike a profession we're all familiar with.

You know that almost sounds like you're making a joke. It's so absurd!

Do yourself a favor, your kids aren't dumb. If they haven't figured it out the soon will. In an age of unemployment and underemplyment, their father fashioned himself into an OVER emplyment scenario on the backs of others! You're a cake eater, and they are going to fugure that out. The fancy album full of pictures from an overproduced wedding isn't going to mean what it should when they get a little older.....

No, Floppy...no joke...and I didn't grow up in a life of over-extravigance. Perhaps you need to turn the mirror around, and look at yourself...expectations and feelings of entitlement take some peculiar routes.

K. Again, here's my view Prussian. Dad started out in DC3 and flew turbo-props for a decade. Lost his airline job, income, insurance and retirement in his early 50's. Life changed for us, big time. Believe it or not, that's a little tougher to deal with than reaching a manditory retirement age.

As you suggested, I'm looking in the mirror and I think you could stand to listen to me. Don't drag your kids into your rational for working longer. Again, they're going to figure all this out on their own. They are going to work twice as hard as you for half as much. And that's if they are lucky. As this article suggests, older workers aren't leaving their jobs and this will probably affect your kids. Attitudes towards this are going to change drastically. Your going to wish you showed a different attitude toward your work reality.

Now if you've got some advice for me, I'm all ears?! Because I'm listening carefully to guys like you. And when I read posts like yours on a thread like this I feel disgusted....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back