• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Son, do you know why I pulled you over?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was about to post a message very similar to LearAv8r's, but he beat me to it.

I did get a chance to visit the folks at the NDR in the DOT building last July before I interviewed with ACA and I got the straight scoop. I have had a few tickets from a couple different states over the course of 10 years but my NDR record was still clean.

Remember, though, every state keeps records differently so don't rely on your state record being clean unless you've verified it to be so.

EOpilot

I recommend full disclosure of any traffic incidents. It really doesn't matter if there is a record of it or not. If you falsify anything on your application and it is ever found out you can be summarily fired. No other cause necessary. Don't chance it. I also would suggest that you avoid casual answers about it: "A few..." is a pretty weak answer if you ask me. Instead, be specific. Research the tickets as much as humanly possible.
Interviewer: "How many tickets have you had?"
You: "Two. One in '95, one in '99. Here's a supplement to my application detailing the incidents."
Interviewr: "Ok, moving on..."
Don't be evasive.

Thought my experience would help. My license was revoked about 7 years ago. Sounds horrible. Simply a speeding ticket. I moved, they (the state I got the ticket in) probably tried to contact me but they were unsuccessful. They revoked my license because of an unpaid speeding ticket (I think I was going 10-15 over, can't remember). Crazy! What a mess.

None of my driving records show this revocation. But I did fully explain it to a company I interviewed with (and was hired). Be truthful! It is easier to explain now than say "er, what revocation?" later on.

Here is something else that is interesting: Recently got my license renewed, and the DMV person said "I see you had your license revoked in 199_" They have the information. When I get my driving record, it is brand-spankin clean....I cannot seem to get the specifics of what county and the exact day and month....but Big Brother has the info! The DMV person said that depending on the severity of the crime they can get info from 30 years ago.

In short: Be truthful!

hahahaha

I can tell you from experience that I won't be telling any prospective employer about ANY thing they don't have a right to know. Know what you have to tell them, FOR A FACT and tell them nothing more. Don't rely on advice from this board about what to tell them.

You need to find out from your attorney what they actually can find out about and for how long. Get one of them background research companies that do airline background investigations and have them do a search on your records. It costs money, but it shure beats the hell out of some dumb ass telling you to roll over on your self like a Neal. It's because of roll over wimps like this, that all of our rights are being eroded away in this country.

My employer sent out a nice letter saying something nice like..."hey guys it's that time of year again, our company car insurance carrier needs to know x.y.z? so If you could...fill out the form and sign the waiver at the bottom please" I noticed that the letter was ASKING us to do this. Very important point here, since it was against the LAW for them to tell us to do what they were asking.

Keep in mind we already got the pre hire commercial aviation probing at hire and all the FAA required background checks...HR records on file, with the drivers license numbers ect...now this thing about background and it came with a waiver! The waiver stated that we would hold harmless the employer, the insurance company, any county, town, village, city, state or federal government agency from any damages that resulted from releasing this information and that we would be also waiving the rights of any heirs or estate." That's literally word for word what the form said and this was supposedly for company car insurance. It wasn't a form of the insurance company either...it was on our employers form. Don't think that's wierd...here's more...there was not one single limit as to WHAT records they wanted like criminal, civil, traffic, nor was there a time limit as to how far they would go back. Literally were signing a form that would allow them to go on an unlimited fishing expedition into our pasts, allow the people that obtained the data to leave it on their coffee tables or line a bird cage with it forever, or allow a government agency to hand out defective information that gets us fired...and no body could sue. Even if this crap caused you to get killed...because they even had you waive your HEIR'S right to sue?

I refused to sign that pice of crap form. Others said they would too, but they soon folded and wimped out. (just like that wimpy ass attempt they made at getting a union in there) Me and one other guy, held out till the company got an Idea that we were only going to sign off on DL checks from any STATE DMV...and only for five years in the past. It's almost like the company was so stupid, they didn't know that for car insurance they would need to get a look at NDR and never asked for that. Just "any state DMV"

I laugh at the guys that just ROLLED OVER. They were saying stuff like "if you don't have any thing to hide, you'll just sign the form...you trouble makers!" WIMPS! and they still got nerve to whine about getting a union at this place.

I don't know what states you guys are living in, but I have had to get my driving record twice for flying jobs in Florida and each time the record included everything I ever did since I got my drivers license, including 1 out of state speeding ticket from 1998 and a citation for reckless driving in 1992!!! I'm not a cop or anything so I'm not trying to come off as an expert but I think "northmountain" said it best, BIG BROTHER HAS THE INFO. It's a fools game to assume the information won't be there. But hey do what you want, if you get caught in a lie it's one more job opening for somebody else.

what about a misdemeanor charge of minor in possesion of alcohol from my college days, I got a copy of my state driving record about a year after this happened and it was listed on my driving record. even though I wasn't even near a car (I was at home in my dorm when cited, had a friend drive me home from a friends where I had the beer) how do I get this thing off my record so I can get a job without having to report this (already cost me 1 job opp that I know of)

Just don't be afraid to talk about it. Be forthright and honest about it and it shouldn't be a problem. Deal with it like any other weak area (failed checkride, training, upgrade, etc.) I know of an individual who had a similar incident and talked about it honestly and openly on an interview and was offered the job. On another case, and individual didn't mention it at an interview, was hired and was actually removed from training for it. When it's all said and done, the airline really wants to see that you are honest. While a skeleton or two in your closet shouldn't necessarily cost you a job, (most people can probably relate to having a drink or two in college) being evasive, or hiding/lying about it definitely could.

Last edited:
Tickets

When I interviewed with a carrier last year I didn't have one ticket to my name. The Chief pilot accused me of bending the truth and said he rarely gets anyone with less than two on their record.

I think they only care if you are a real repeat offender.

Latest resources

Back