Son, do you know why I pulled you over?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

relief tube

Regional pilots, just want to get your take on speeding tickets. I know having 2 aren't bad, but sure doesn't help matters. One is out of state, and will not show up on my record, I know that. THe other's coming off my record come January, as
it's been 3 years. I know they never ask "how many are on your record," they know that much. If they do it's "how many have you had," like from the time you drove power wheels as a kid. Is it safe not bringing up out-of-state/expired tickets, or is it a must to be honest like they want. I'm more comfy with the latter but I want to avoid doing something that I don't have to do. As the months progress and I build enough time to apply to the regionals, what should I do?

Thanks guys.

Tickets will be the least of your problems. Don't sweat it. Just concentrate on building quality time for now.

If it ever comes up, though, just say "a couple". It's a question that's rarely ever actually asked by an interviewer...it's more common to see that type thing on an application. It's really no big deal; they're just looking for a possible pattern.

Good luck with your flying.

Tickets

You should order and review all of your driving records, including your National Driver Register. That way you will know what others can find out about you and can answer the question appropriately but honestly.

Good luck with your interview.

I'd second Bobbysamd. Get a copy of your record so you know exactly what is on it. Most importantly, just be honest in your interview. The people who conduct interviews are quite talented and trained to not only listen to your answers, but see what your body language and voice inflection say. You tell you've only had "a couple" of tickets while your voice cracks or you squirm around in the chair or stare at the corner of the ceiling above their heads, the red flag will begin it's rise.

"Positive" is correct when he said they're just looking for a pattern. Has your three tickets been over a span of 10 years, or six months?

This brings up an interesting question, maybe one Bobby can help with. I've heard that tickets are a temporary item on your record, but is your DMV history available? For example, when you sign your DMV request for info located in most application packages, can they not only check "current" records, but also "historical" records? The reason I bring this up, if your interviewer asks "How many tickets have you had" and you go in thinking your record is clean over the last 2-3 years and say none, can your history be searched? I'm not a conspiracy theorists or anything like that. Just goes to my theory that honesty is the ONLY policy.

2000Flyer

2000flyer said:
This brings up an interesting question, maybe one Bobby can help with. I've heard that tickets are a temporary item on your record, but is your DMV history available? For example, when you sign your DMV request for info located in most application packages, can they not only check "current" records, but also "historical" records? The reason I bring this up, if your interviewer asks "How many tickets have you had" and you go in thinking your record is clean over the last 2-3 years and say none, can your history be searched? I'm not a conspiracy theorists or anything like that. Just goes to my theory that honesty is the ONLY policy.
I know that in Colorado violations drop off your record after something like three years.

I had a ticket in Oklahoma in 1985. I ordered my Oklahoma driving record in 1993 for Mesa. The ticket had dropped off my record.

I have no idea if there is such a thing as a historical traffic violation list for every driver that airlines, etc. use to investigte people. I would try to get records from as far back as possible. Call your state Motor Vehicle Department for particulars.

Hope that helps. You must be 100% honest but judicious in volunteering information.

The retention period for driver license records is 10 years.

Most convictions of traffic offenses, such as hit and run, reckless driving, and driving under the influence (DUI) will remain on your record for 7 years from the violation date and count as 2 points.

Most other traffic offense convictions will remain on your record for 3 years from the violation date and count as 1 point.

Accidents are reported for 3 years from the accident date. If you are found to be at fault, the accident normally counts as 1 point.
(If you happen to have a Commercial Drivers License you'll get a point whether at fault or not.)

Actions taken against your driving privilege, such as a suspension or revocation due to a DUI or a failure to provide proof of financial responsibility, will be reported for 3 years from the proof termination date or the reinstatement date, whichever is earlier.

A Failure To Appear for DUI offenses will be reported for 10 years from the violation date. All other Failure To Appears and Failure to Pay fines will be reported for 5 years from the violation date.,

Bobby is correct. Oklahoma tickets drop after 3 years but some states are 4 or 5 for example PA.

DUI's stay for a bit longer.

I had plenty when I was younger. They don't hinder you as much as you might think as long as you take responsibility.

If you do get pulled over. Tell tell the Officer you had a hell of a tail wind. It's worked 2 times for me already this year.

There's a little thing called a Lifetime Motor Vehicle Record that comes out of the NDR. Everything you've ever done since you got your driver's license is in there, all 50 states. That time you ran a stop sign when you were 16? It's there. That speeding ticket you got a few years ago driving through another state? It's there too. We are living in the computer age guys! Most employers only require a 10 year driving record so that's probably why that number keeps coming up, but if you ask the clerk to pull up your lifetime MVR it can be retrieved at the click of the mouse. I think you guys are getting confused with the point system, the points may come off after so many years, but the record of the violation will always be there. In my state it cost a couple bucks more to get the lifetime record as opposed to the standard 10 year, but I always get it cause I like to know what's on there. (And trust me everything you ever did there!)

If you have a DWI or DUI (it called different things in different places), or any other offence where you were placed in the back of a police car and taken to jail. It will not go away with time. It will be there after your are dead. But, There is something called an expungment (you will need a lawyer and a judge to sign off on it) that can make it go away.

Actually if you get a ticket for running a stop sign it WILL NOT show up on the NDR. The National Drivers Register is a system that is based in Washington D.C. and consists of a list of drivers that are added to it by each individual state. Example: If you get a DUI in Rhode Island. You go to court and get convicted and it will go on your state record for a number of years. (Depending on the state laws) After a while it you do not get any other violations it should drop off. The more serious offense the longer it stays. (I.E., higher points = the longer it stays) (Some states do not drop off DUI's). Now since you have been convicted of a serious moving violation the state will send your infomation to Washington D.C. and you will be added to the NDR.

When someone checks your record at the NDR there is a master list and a disclosure list. The master list is what is exactely on storage at the NDR. (DUI,Suspension, etc...). They are ONLY serious infractions. A stop light violation or running a stop sign will not be on there. The disclosure list is the list of who actually received the information and what information they received. If you are "lucky" enough to make the NDR list your information will remain on the list and will not go away. However there are usually time limits as to who can extract the information. Usually three or five years depending. When a prospective employer checks your drivers record for the last five years the the NDR would only disclose a letter to the employer that they have a possible match to the information that you provided. Hair Color, Height, Name, ETC.. The letter will say that if you have a possible match that you need to contact the reporting state to get more information.

Hope this helps.....If you have a couple of speeders and want to work for the airlines, majors or regionals, don't get anymore tickets and try to have as much time from them as possible. The more time the better you are......

Don't forget how competitive this industry is.........

Good luck

LearAv8r-

Latest resources

Back