• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Someone's in deep trouble!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the govt. did not respond inappropriately, the media has... a small suitcase nuke can surely fit in a 152 if it can fit in a suitcase. the 152 would not even need to hit the white house, 1500' above is more than sufficient. use your heads a little.

What is funny is they sent F-16s after a freakin 150.

With all the precautions put in place after 9/11 how the heck did a 150 get that close? What was Potomac approach doing while this 150 was going for a scenic flight down the Potomac river.

standaman said:
Here is what I can't figure out about all of this. Everybody in aviation knows that the nations capital has secure airspace around it. Everybody in aviation knows what class B airspace is right. Have these two guys been under a rock for the last century.

I don't get it.

Exactly. It just blows my mind how it's even possible :confused:

You guys are right!! I know that when I got my luggage works bag I paid extra for the padded "briefcase size nuclear bomb" pouch.

While I think the response to this particular incident was appropriate, I also agree with what someone else posted about security being too focused on just aviation. Just because aviation was used in the last attacks many seem to have developed a tunnel vision that automatically links all future terrorist attacks with airplanes. It just doesn't work that way...the possibilities for creating an attack are endless. Personally, I think the biggest priority should be sealing our borders and keeping this scum out of our country to begin with. This can never happen though because, God forbid, we may offend someone.

Yeah, a briefcase nuke will fit quite nicely in a C-150. Then again, you could just CARRY IT up Pennsylvania Avenue and put it right beside the White House. With much less scrutiny, and plenty of places to hide it if you weren't inclined to go meet Allah right away.

Bottom line is something, somewhere broke down if a 90hp Cessna could get within 3 miles of the White House. What if it was any type of turbojet aircraft?

I say put the Hawks back on the WH roof and let the Secret Service clean up the mess of any airplane that comes within 5 miles of the White House without permission. Dumbasses like these and the bad press they recieve are the reason GA pilots have such a hard time getting back into DCA.

Whats worse, a cellphone-nuke could be easily carried in the right breast pocket of a pilot shirt, the kind of pilot shirt easily worn by a C-150 pilot streaking toward the Capitol at 75 mph.

coolyokeluke said:
A UHaul truck loaded with explosives will do a hell of a lot more damage than a 1500lb C150.

Why does everyone assume that a suicide bomber would pay attention to aircraft limitations?

When you are not 100% sure, you have to err on the side of protecting our country. I think Ingeousy made a good point...I would not want to be the guy who had to explain why he sat there and did nothing....

You've got to give it up to the Airforce and the Secret Service...they did their job. If you can maneuver an F-16 @ C150 speeds - not bad flying. They got his @ss out of their. And the Secret Service was rocking and rolling...

And lets not be too hard on the CFI. I have done some pretty stupid things in my day (well, not quite this bad - but stupid none the less). And I would never say "this would never happen to me" - most lessons I learn come from some pretty good screw ups.

Hey, I wonder if a NASA report will get him out of this???? Don't you know he is going to be ragged on at his flight school / flying club....that's got to be the worst part!

SpacemanSpiff said:
There were no great restrictions placed on general aviation after 9/11...were there?
Sure there were! You ever heard of enhanced Class B? But I digress. The reason there aren't significant restritcitons on GA is because is twofold. First, it's not practical, pure and simple. Too many planes that won't get used will lead to too many lawsuits complaining about the loss of personal investments, etc. Second, the American public, thanks in part to our wonderful news media, know NOTHING about aviation and hence has no idea that airliners are not the only things flying above our homes, farms, and cities. No knowledge = no fear. No fear = no problem. End of policy statement.

SpacemanSpiff said:
These guys flew within about 3 miles of the capitol. Should they be allowed to practice turns about a point over Washington monument? What would an appropriate response/restriction be?
Yup and it's a really good thing it wasn't a jet of any kind. The "security" in place over Washington will not stop an attack by a jet aircraft that launches from DCA or IAD (or any other small airport locally - FDK for that matter).

Perhaps that's the answer. They reacted the way they did to show that the system works - as long as the craft is only capable of 90 kts (in a steep descent).

Whoever this guy is he deserves to have every ticket he has permanently revoked for sheer stupidity alone, let alone actually deviating from the FARs. I'm sorry if that seems harsh but we have enough morons out there calling themselves professional pilots and THEY manage to stay out of places they don't belong. This guy couldn't. He flunked a most basic test on 5/11. His game SHOULD be over!

TIS

Latest resources

Back