Someone's in deep trouble!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SpacemanSpiff said:
The safety and security of our government officials is no joke. What if that aircraft were piloted by terrorists armed with some type of bomb or other weapon? If the government acted as if it were no big deal then the bad guys would eventually catch on and possibly exploit that opportunity. Use your brain Luke.

A UHaul truck loaded with explosives will do a hell of a lot more damage than a 1500lb C150. Think about it, there's a world of opportunity to do destruction if you have a free society and people willing to kill themselves to make their point. If you really think about it there's a heck of a lot of things we should restrict if we're going to take your attitude. General aviation is a scapegoat because terrorists chose to use aircraft in their last great plan. Think of the damage a few containers loaded with a nuclear dirty bomb, chemical/biological weapons, etc could do, do you know only a small percentage of those get inspected? My point is in a free society there is no possible way to protect against all acts of terrorism. You have to choose between a level of government interference/lack of freedom and security. I would choose more freedom and take my chances. A Joe Stalin like state is not my cup of tea.

Inconceivable said:
If our government/safety/freedom is at the mercy of a flying spamcan with a lower gross weight than my first car then we are all in trouble.

Liberty: use it or lose it--while you still can!

you could put airborne agents etc. on a small plane. the media is perhaps overblowing this, but the reaction at the capital ... perhaps not.

It IS an appropriate response

There were no great restrictions placed on general aviation after 9/11...were there? The only change has been much tighter security for the Washington DC area and some other possible targets such as nuclear power plants. Also there are tighter controls on training foreigners. Stalinist?!? Give me a break.

These guys flew within about 3 miles of the capitol. Should they be allowed to practice turns about a point over Washington monument? What would an appropriate response/restriction be?

It's sad that this country is turning into a society of cowering bunker-dwellers.

While the government is taking precautions for wayward aircraft, there doesn't seem to be the same scrutiny given to rental trucks or any number of large ships transporting vast numbers of containers into the U.S. on a daily basis. And how secure are the U.S. borders to the south AND the north?

Latest report says the student pilot was pulled out of the aircraft in a full airline pilot uniform....including the hat....and Ray-Ban aviator glasses.....

First, they didn't know it was just a 150 until later. It could very well have been a caravan. You could cram a pretty substantial amount of explosives into a caravan.

Second, you can't park a uhaul close enough to the whitehouse anymore, an airplane would be necessary if that's your intent.

Third, if I was the guy that had to make that call...I'd rather be explaining why I did when it wasn't then why I didn't when it was.

Later.

Flic1 said:
Latest report says the student pilot was pulled out of the aircraft in a full airline pilot uniform....including the hat....and Ray-Ban aviator glasses.....

The hell you say! Which airline..Pinnacle..Comair..ExpressJet??
Last report was that he was a Embry Riddler graduate.

"First, they didn't know it was just a 150 until later. It could very well have been a caravan. You could cram a pretty substantial amount of explosives into a caravan."

you think the 75mph airspeed might have been a hint?

Waco

I don't get it

Here is what I can't figure out about all of this. Everybody in aviation knows that the nations capital has secure airspace around it. Everybody in aviation knows what class B airspace is right. Have these two guys been under a rock for the last century.

I don't get it.

Latest resources

Back