• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Some thoughts from a controller

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1. Why do you always make me say what atis I have when receiving a clearance after I tell you which one I have on my initial call?

Have you ever, once in your entire flying career asked ATC to repeat an altitude? Heading? frequency? transponder code? verify your landing clearence?

Never, ever, not even once? Really? well you're perfect, go ahead and feel free to get pissy if ATC is less than perfect. It's your right.

For the rest of us who don't always get it right the first time, every time, maybe we can cut ATC a little slack when they don't catch everything we say.

Last edited:
3. What exactly are you guys doing on the land line?

Calling other sectors, coordinating handoffs, talking to tower facilities granting release times, calling FSS for that guy who wonders if R-5206 is hot, talking to center about the guy whose flaps are stuck at 30 etc. etc. The fact is there used to be more controllers doing the landline stuff, now they're on the scopes, talking on the phone, talking to other controllers and such.

The number of planes in the sky have increased, yet the controller workforce has decreased as well as pay.

Basically, they're seeing the same trend we are minus the whipsaw. Contract terms put into effect without bargaining. Next time you're thinking about the paycut you were foced to take, remember the guy on the other end of the mic had the same thing happen. Give em a break. Especially if it's a weekend and the approach controller's trying to handle 6 guys who talk on the radio like they haven't ever done it before.

6. Don't get mad at us when we have to turn you 60 degrees for spacing. It's your airline that schedules 100 planes to land in ORD/EWR/wherever at the same time.

I don't fly professionally, nor do I burn kerosene, but I'm not a student pilot and I do my best to be as professional as the guy wearing the funny stripes on his shirt is.

And I'll go out of my way to make your job easier too.

But do some of you guys have to seek revenge by mocking us on the radio b/c you're busy and/or some guy in front of us pissed you off?

Las Vegas and Los Angeles basin controllers come to mind from past experiences.

In regards to point 3, I'll usually give you my mach number but then throw in the "What do you need?" as a friendly way to show my flexibilty. Of course, I realize you MAY change me, but I think most of us sense you guys on the ground are possibly hesitant to ask for a change in our speed and we are just trying to help you out by letting you know we can give you whatever you need.

Your point is taken however, so next time I'll just STFU.

Have you ever, once in your entire flying career asked ATC to repeat an altitude? Heading? frequency? transponder code? verify your landing clearence?

Never, ever, not even once? Really? well you're perfect, go ahead and feel free to get pissy if ATC is less than perfect. It's your right.

For the rest of us who don't always get it right the first time, every time, maybe we can cut ATC a little slack when they don't catch everything we say.

Hey, relax. The original post did a little venting so I did a little rant of my own. No disrespect meant, we all screw up, and I am not afraid to admit I screw up my fair share of the time. My point on the clearnce thing is not that we don't screw up, its just that I can do eight legs in a day dealing with wheels up and flow control, we get frustrated too. The two groups have to work together to get people to their destinations, but it doesn't mean EITHER of us understand EVERYTHING the other is doing.

Latest resources

Back