Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fastone

Guys,

I have applied at SWA, as this has been my dream all along. I have passed the min jet pic requirement and am on the way... I was wanted to know what any of you can tell me about the competitive times for the interview... What are they pulling people in with currently? I know that they are interviewing without the type. My plan is to keep flying my butt off for a the next 3 months or so and get the pic time up and then, go to HPA and get the type... What do you in LUV land think of this and what are my chances? I have been targeting SWA for over years now and finally see some lilght at the end of the tunnel...

Please provide some input... Good, bad, ugly...

Thanks!

Fastone,

Thanks for your interest in SWA. I haven't spoken to the PD folks in awhile but from the sounds of it the 1700ish number was bantered around for PIC the last time I heard. That again doesn't mean much, as there have been folks who have been called with less & many who haven't been called with more.

You're plan to keep flying hard & logging the hours is a good path. Progressing up the "leadership" ladder is also a solid plus, i.e. training Capt, Check Airman....other leadership opportunities when they occur. However, getting the hours is critical & flying smart. None of the above are revelations I'm sure but you're following a path that has proven successful for many folks, it will take perserverance & patience...hang in there & don't give up. The type is a good thing also if you absolutely positively want to work at SWA & are willing to keep plugging away regardless of what may happen on the first or even 2nd attempt....good luck & thanks again for your interest in SWA.

Some may say your path is littered with potholes & you have no guarantees....they are correct...it won't be easy but you know that already. Good luck.

I interviewed September 2005 with the following:

6200 Total
1800 PIC turbine (all turbo prop)
Line Check Airman
737 Type

Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Fastone,

I recommend listening to the podcast interview on the www.AirlinePilotCentral.com Home page. It a phone interview with a person from the Southwest people department. It should help give you an understanding of what Southwest is looking for and where the company is going (in ref to future hiring).

Hope this helps!

Gotta

Start making contact with those in your past that you have flown with who might be willing to write a recommendation for you and pull for you on the inside. As Chase said any position of leadership above Line CA helps as well.

I interviewed a couple of years ago with
7500ish TT
2000ish TPIC
Check Airman
737 type and about 800 hours or so flying it

I interviewed in december and was fortunate enough to get the phone call. I am waiting to go to class.
5200tt
2200 and change turbine pic (1700turbo prop & 500 jet)
1100 jet sic
line checkairman
737 type
and a two year degree
good luck......

Yer on the right path...as everyone has said. I was called to interview 7 days after my type was completed. 3600PIC and 5600 total...all T-prop. Still waiting for my DB which is in a couple weeks. A buddy of mine interviewed with only 1200ish PIC. He was called about 4-5 weeks after his type. He didn't get it...but I don't believe it was from his low PIC. If that was the case then he wouldn't have interviewed in the first place. The amount of PIC time seems to dictate how soon you'll be called...just what I've noticed with people I've met recently the last 4 months.

Best of luck to ya...

"250 Strands of lights, 100 individual bulbs per strand for a GRAND total of 25,000 imported italian twinkle lights...25,000" - Clark W. Grizwald

I love that movie.....especially when he goes off about his boss....

Guys -

Thanks for the replies. I just got in from another 7.5 hours of PIC jet time - I am worn out, but was glad to see the information posted here. At the rate that i am going, I should be setting at 1500 PIC by the end of April... I have been in contact with PD at SWA for over four years now and they have been following my progress... I am hoping for the best! I just need a shot at it and i think that if given the chance, I can present myself as truly wanting to be a SWA member and why... I know that they are interviewing guys without the types right now and that they have interviewed a lot lately that have been turned down and as a matter of fact, I know some that have been turned down and can't figure out the equation that is used... I know several that have made it in too... I think what it all boils down to us being able to sell yourself as wanting to be a swa family member from the start and being able to prove that you will fit into their equation...

More thoughts?

They make you wear boxer shorts prior to being offerred a job...no joke.

Latest resources

Back