• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Some interesting reading on the Qantas emergency

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This should put to rest any talk of pilotless airliners for quite a while. What's that Ryan CEO spouting off now?

I guess Airbus never read what caused United 232 to loose all of its Hydraulic systems?

Oh for the love....Beyond multiple hydraulic systems powering the surfaces, an aileron can be driven with nothing but electrical power, as there is a unitary electric hyd pump associated with the control surface. But you knew that.

Last edited:
OK Smart A$$, that was not the point I was making. The point I was making is that back then when they built the DC10 they never anticipated that a catastrophic engine failure would be able to cut off all of the hydraulic lines. Well that was 60's Tech, and different certification rules, the A380 is 21 century tech, should be state of the art, you figure that they would have routed the lines somewhere else to avoid a similar episode, I guess not, I am glad that you cleared that up for me, since the article that I read also stated that not only were all of the hydraulic lines cut, but so were the electrical and fuel lines, they were not even able to shut down an engine, the fire dept had to shoot foam in it to fod it out......maybe you should read the full report before you defend your precious airbus product

Hey I have no desire to ever take an Airbus into a combat zone. But for boring people hauling it does pretty well. On the A380 you can drain both hydraulic sytems and still have roll control. I think that's impressive. The engine that couldn't be shut down - two different wire looms that were physically separated by design were both cut. Sometimes it's just not your day.

Oh for the love....Beyond multiple hydraulic systems powering the surfaces, an aileron can be driven with nothing but electrical power, as there is a unitary electric hyd pump associated with the control surface. But you knew that.

If I remember the bus systems correctly the ailerons cannot be driven "with nothing but electrical power" you are correct that the stby (blue system I believe) hydraulic system is an electrically driven hydraulic pump but it still requires hydraulic fluid.....With no fluid you have the rudder and the pitch trim. I'm not flaming just trying to remember if I am correct. This is for the 320 series...I dont know about the 380.

Hopefully I am correct....It's been a while since I have flown the bus.

That's true regarding the 320. If you lose ALL hydraulic quantity then you have no control surface authority. Maybe they changed that with the 380?

That's going to cost Rolls Royce a pretty penny! From what I have read, they have grounded ALL 380's that have the Trent engines and they have to be replaced....I would imagine RR is picking up the bill for all the hrs/block lost. HUGE BILL!

Latest resources

Back