• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Airpiraterob

LaForge Sayz:
how do you fit?
just currious. im 6-3, & not too lanky.

ive met bigger and taller that fit in these things. I tried to wear a lr25 once and..well..it was a little uncomfortable, but 40 minutes later it would hurt.

how do you stilt's do it? practice alot of Yoga?

Thats funny you should ask. I was just explaining this very thing to my co- worker.

With the Lears that have the modded middle console, the one that is flat not slanted, it takes grace to get in without cleaning any switches off of the thing when you are 6 ft and have size 13 feet.

I also used a Jepp trip book to slide under one a$$ cheek to stop the numbness after 2 hours.

A guy I used to fly with was 6'5, I am 6'0, when we got out of the thing the line guys would ask how we even turn the yoke, I replied with syncronized breathing.

Well I am 6'3" and about 265 and if you wear wingtips with no more than a 1 inch heel it works even in a 25. Left seat: left foot first over the center console just parallel of the control column, then left hand on the visor clear of the fire bottle arm switch, then grab your right ankle so as not break any thing on the center console (Lears have very little delicate switches there) and slide on in. The nice thing is that even if the seat locking pin fails you can't go any further back. The Right seat is the same just start with your right foot. Getting out is the same if you do in flight, make sure the PF covers the throttles and control column. And if you wear the New Slates Navy Blue trousers with the really nice sheen on them, it keeps the glutes from going num and cramping it sounds funny but it works. I have flown them for two years and the slacks do make a difference. CHEERS!

6'3" and 230lbs. The 35 was tight but doable for a couple/few hours. Felt like I needed a shoe horn to get in and out of the 25. But my all-time worst was the 3 or 4 med flights I had to do in the company's back-up MED aircraft, a LR-24. Had to hold on to the top of the horns on the yoke because my knees were in the way. Looking back I'm very greatful I never had a CJ-610 crap out on me.

I'm 6'4", 225 LBS and have been flying all of em' except the 24 for about 4 1/2 years now. Not a problem at all. You will be sore the first month or two until your body figures out how to "slouch properly". Quite honestly the most difficult part is figuring out what to do with your elbows. (Seriously!) One other problem seems to be the right seat of the 25 where the emergency brake handle digs into your left leg. Good incentive to upgrade fast.

People always ask me how I fit in a lear, my response is "Mind over matter. I don't mind, so it doesn't matter."

The more you fly them, the easier it gets.

Hey Rob, I see you're an MST3K fan....COOL!

CHEERS!

Last edited:
I'm 6'3" and 230 and put in my 1000 hours of Lear time. You get used to it. On some of the older 23's and 24's I'd have to take out the seat cushions to get more comfortable. One of the guys I worked with was a lanky 6'5" and he didn't have much of a problem either (he actually showed me how to take out the seat cushions).

Both of my bosses are around six foot three, and they remove the seat back cushion for added room.

I have found that a small inflatable cushion, the kind you would buy at the drugstore if you have a 'roid problem, is a big help in the old design seats. The newer seat, such as in a 55, is far more comfortable.

As above, watch out for those switches. The older style flap handle will try and grab your left pantleg as you get into the right seat. The newer flap handle has the set-to-select detents and has barriers to prevent accidental movement and trouser grabbing. On long trips, use the arm rests to take a little weight off your butt.

I think the difference in flap handles is in relationship to what wing you have.

MarkII wing has the detents I believe and have a flap 10 instead of flap 8.

Century III w/softflight have the on off switch for the flaps with a flap 8 setting. Its been a couple years but I tink thats the case.

Yes young grasshopper you are correct, I see the Tel Aviv Torpedo has yet to take your memory from you!

Latest resources

Back