Some ASA history Q's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PUCK

Just looking up some history on our new dance partner. I looked up the history on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Southeast_Airlines)

But I had some additional questions.

1. What whas the fleet make-up before the BAe-146's came on property in 1995?

2. In 99' DAL aquired ASA and combined it into a Delta Connection. Did ASA join that Delta pilot Academy thing? (sorry don't know much about that myself)

3. How many aircraft has Skywest stolen so far? (Wiki was alittle unclear about the 12 700's and the rest of the aircraft orders)

4. The only bases are listed as ATL and IAD. But is there still a LAX focus city? And any other bases? (I know here at coex (back in the day) we had just a bunch of small bases all over the place).

5. How did the callsign "Acey" come about?

6. What is the operating certificate code? (XE we are BTA for Britt Airways)

7. How is the top managment set up, or does Skywest just run the entire show?

Thanks in advance
Jerry Bartelson

Just looking up some history on our new dance partner. I looked up the history on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Southeast_Airlines)

But I had some additional questions.

1. What whas the fleet make-up before the BAe-146's came on property in 1995?

12 ATRs, about 60 E120s, and about 15 E110 Bandits.

PUCK said:
2. In 99' DAL aquired ASA and combined it into a Delta Connection. Did ASA join that Delta pilot Academy thing? (sorry don't know much about that myself)

Delta acquired us, then shortly after acquired Comair. We were never combined like Eagle or Continental Express. DCI was over all the Connection carriers, both wholly owned and independant.

PUCK said:
3. How many aircraft has Skywest stolen so far? (Wiki was alittle unclear about the 12 700's and the rest of the aircraft orders)

Officially, only 4 700s were transferred. However some 900 orders that ASA had, went to Skywest.

PUCK said:
4. The only bases are listed as ATL and IAD. But is there still a LAX focus city? And any other bases? (I know here at coex (back in the day) we had just a bunch of small bases all over the place).

The LAX base only lasted a few months....We were just a place holder. ATL and IAD are the only bases. Previous bases are MCN, DFW, MEM, SLC, and LAX.

PUCK said:
5. How did the callsign "Acey" come about?

Not sure how it came about, but a few years back, the FAA made ASA drop "Acey" because of a supposed conflict with a guard unit callsign in NM that used "Aces". So we went to "Candler" for a few years which caused more conflict on the radio with "Comair" and "Carolina" and others. Eventually, we were able to go back to "Acey". Candler came from the Coke a Cola family name and was the original name of the ATL airport.

PUCK said:
6. What is the operating certificate code? (XE we are BTA for Britt Airways)

ICAO code is ASQ, IATA code is EV

PUCK said:
7. How is the top managment set up, or does Skywest just run the entire show?

Thanks in advance
Jerry Bartelson

Management is separate. However our top guy did come from Skywest and was a HUGE improvement in what we had in the past.

-In late 2007, Brad Holt came from Skywest to run ASA as our CEO. He seems invested in the success of ASA but he does have to answer to Skywest Inc. During his tenure he has overhauled most mgt positions. The company is a better run organization compared with our previous CEOs but it is not without it's issues. Right now we are sorely understaffed and time will tell if this is the new staffing model to save money or if they will hire to address the problem. The reserve pilots are crediting 10-20 hrs over guarantee with few exceptions while moving some of their off days and the company is extending line pilots. Definitely affecting QOL.
-We are EV ergo some of our tail numbers.
-Acey was the original callsign but the military used it also and we had to change to "Candler" in the 90s. Several years ago "Acey" came avail again so we changed back.
-ATL and IAD are the only bases. No more LAX and we go no farther west than about OMA or thereabouts.

ATL and IAD are the only bases. No more LAX and we go no farther west than about OMA or thereabouts.
Starting in Sept we will head back to DEN from MEM on the -900. Nice to see us out West again!

Also some -200's were transferred over to SW.

ASA, Skywest, and Comair have been swapping out 200s since the Comair strike. Both ASA and Skywest took CMR 200s and flew them during the CMR strike, and they been swapping them around ever since.

Here's an abbreviated history of ASA: http://www.flyasa.com/media/history/

I believe that the original callsign was "ASEA", short for Atlantic SouthEast Airlines. The switch to "Candler" has previously been discussed and when we got the old callsign back the spelling was changed to "Acey" for some reason.

Unfortunately, ATC sometimes interchanges our ICAO code (ASQ) and callsign for that of Mesa (Air Shuttle, ASH), which is annoying. It isn't nearly as bad as the "Candler" confusion though. Does XE commonly have trouble with call-sign confusion? If not, I vote for "Jet Link" to become the combined company's callsign.

Latest resources

Back