Some advice please

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fr8Dog

Ok I have a small dilemma that I need your opinions on. I have basically made up my mind, but I just need some assurance that I am doing the right thing here. Ok I sent out a Resume in the beginning of October to IFL Group/Contract Air Cargo after talking to a couple of guys flying the Convair down in MCI. I received a call for an interview about two weeks ago and went to the interview over in PTK last Friday. I interviewed with the DO who was one of the pilots I was talking with in MCI and he remembered me from that. The interview was very laid back and really no technical questions at all. I was given the tour, had everything about the company explained to me, and had all my questions answered. At the end of the day I had the job offered to me and I have to let them know my decision by Monday.

I am currently flying freight in a BE99, C402, and C207 in southeast Wisconsin doing mostly the on demand auto freight stuff and a little of our scheduled UPS runs. Currently I am making decent pay 30k-40k a year depending on how good of a year it is. I have no worry about being laid off or the company going out of business. I do enjoy my current job, like the people I work with, get along with the boss and am overall very happy doing what I am doing.

Now over at IFL I would be starting as an FO in the Convair 580/5800 with a move to an FO in the 727 or to Captain in the 580/5800 in the future. Starting pay would be a little more then half of what I am making right now for the first six months and after that close to what I am making now depending on how much I was flying, then when I would upgrade to Captain the pay would be substantially more then I am making now. I know I would like it at IFL since it is basically doing the same on-demand flying I am doing now except with bigger airplanes, hauling larger loads, and going further. The schedule would be basically the same on call 24/7 and very quick show times. As far as job security goes, well I really don't know what would happen if there were another attack on us, or what war with Iraq would do to the economy and if the auto freight slows a lot I could be out of a job, but if I am still working at IFL in 10 years I don’t think I would be unhappy at all.

What would you do if you were in my situation, 20years old, nothing keeping me from moving around, no big bills to worry about, but also I don’t want to have to worry about being laid off in the near future. I do not currently know where I want to for the rest of my life, but I do know I don’t what to fly around in a BE99 or 402 for the rest of it. I would appreciate everyone’s opinion on this tough decision, and if you know anything, good or bad, about IFL please let me know. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Fr8Dog said:
Currently I am making decent pay 30k-40k ......... I have no worry about being laid off or the company going out of business.

What would you do if you were in my situation, 20years old, nothing keeping me from moving around, no big bills to worry about

Must be nice!!!!!! Sounds like things are going pretty well for you! Smile, and take whatever makes you the happiest!

Eenie, meanie, etc.

I think that I would do it. You don't have family responsibilities or big expenses. You have a chance to build better-quality turbine time in larger equipment, you have a chance to be Captain on that equipment, and even if you suffer a furlough the time you build in that equipment will be extremely valuable.

As long as you are convinced that the company is on good footing I see no downside. The job certainly sounds interesting.

As they always say, no matter what decision one makes it'll be wrong. Good luck with your decision.

Very very easy choice if it was "me"..... Take the job hands down. Quality time and nicer, heavier, "bigger" equipment.

good luck

3 5 0

Dude...you answered your own questions...

I know I would like it at IFL since it is basically doing the same on-demand flying I am doing now except with bigger airplanes, hauling larger loads, and going further. The schedule would be basically the same on call 24/7 and very quick show times.

I do not currently know where I want to for the rest of my life, but I do know I don’t what to fly around in a BE99 or 402 for the rest of it.

I would make the move also. Good luck.

Go for it.

Don't look back.

Lemme throw a wrench in the works...

...you need college son.

Look. You're only 20!

My advice, take the job for all the reasons listed above. It's a great opportunity--no doubt. I wish I was in your position when I was 20.

BUT.

One day you're not gonna be 20 anymore. You're gonna have a wife and kids (maybe) and be burned out on Convairs and 727s (definitely--you're a pilot right?--you can't be happy forever!).

SO.

You need to think ahead.

Great opportunity right now. Don't pass it up. But realize that one day you may need to make another move.

Money is never wasted on education. The best time to attend school is when the economy is slow--you won't miss much in the job market.

At 20 you can quite feasibly quit your job, attend school full time for four years and pick up right where you left off. Believe me this airline thing ain't gonna recover in four years.

You won't miss a thing.

Man I wish I was 20 again.
Good luck.

Mar,
Thanks for the info, I am currently taking online classes to get that degree. I should have it in 2-3 years from now so I will be set there.

No attachments and the chance to move on to bigger equipment? Easy-go for it!! All the best- Wil

Thanks for everyones input, I have decided to do it. I guess in 5-10 years I will know if I made the right decision or not. Thanks again.

Latest resources

Back