Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dispatchguy

Dad is my favorite title
Who wants to shoot the Canadians for their completely unprepared and uncoordinated trial for No-NAR eastbound NATs that they threw up on 1 OCT?

I loved the fact that on 1 OCT, when the new NAT track advisory came out, that the BOS ARTCC TMU folks had no clue that it was coming.

I loved the fact that on yesterday's Canadian conference call there was no clue how they were going to actually implement, and what kinds of procedures were required to make this thing work.

I loved that when the BOS track transition advisory finally came out, they did the things that they said they werent going to do on the conference call.

Today should be really interesting, in that today allegedly BOS will publish routes only to their common boundary between them and Moncton. Some flight planning systems cant handle No-NAR routings....

I'm all for efficiency and fuel savings, BUT, how about a little pre-coordination? Nothing like making crap up as we go along....

Last edited:
It's for this evening's eastbounds - we're slapping something together until our computer gurus can rewrite our FPS and how it handles this situation...

Dispatch guy,

Would you care to explian in laymen's terms what is going on? It sounds like the Canucks are prohibiting Eastbound traffic through part of their airspace.

ohh, i thought it was this mornings eastbounds. we did get a navcanada message re. a eastbound plane on a track.

No, theyre not prohibiting it, they just changed the way the world works. The problem is is that their new way isnt set up in a lot of carriers flight planning systems.

They completely jumped the shark...

most of those NAR's dont even have any waypoints located along them, so they are just as good as a direct .. KANNI/EBONY, DCT YQX, or whatever, cant be at all differnt than the NAR I would think .. further more, the NAR's may sometimes restrict you fm a more optimal coast out fix/route, as most NAR's have like a max of 5 possible coast out fixes they hook up to.

Granted

Thankfully the canucks suspended their trial 3 days into it, for few of the majors have flight planning systems which could easily handle the No-NAR method.

I heard that CO's system cant.
AAs - not sure
DL - not without a MAJOR redesign - but since the system is from inhouse thats doable.
UA - their new system can, from what I heard
US - Uses the same system as at AA, so they would have the same issues.

Plus, the whole method of their annoucing the trial - hey, were doing a trial this week, without checking with the users and seeing if our systems can handle operating sans-NARs, wasnt a good way either.

I like the concept, but the coordination and execution seemed lacking.

Latest resources

Back