Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So... What did the previous airline mergers give up?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm a bit irritated that the whiny CEOs of sw and jet blue who think that they have a sense of entitlement of Dca and lga slots owned by the combo of us and amr.
What slots were given up during previous mergers?
Guess what.. If us has to give slots at dca, the crybaby carriers will not fly to the smaller cities that we serve.

Its a waste to use a slot on a 50 seater when that slot could accommodate over 100 passengers or more. Let the small city passenger make a connection to reach DCA. Its this "entitlement" attitude of small cities that think they should have DCA service to the detriment of large cities with many more passengers that is a waste of resources.
A slot is a terrible thing to waste. Don't waste it on podunk, USA.

I have always thought that the minimum amount of seats you should be able to fly into a slot controlled airport is 100.

You don't feel rewarded? In what other areas do you think your employer is more deserving? What's come up short of your expectations?

From what I've seen, SWA asks for it, they get it. Love Field:,you got to stay and the agreement was continuously tweaked for decades so it was just right for you. You've shaped the entire production of the 737. Despite solid BM legislation, you got to do whatever you wanted to Airtan. Uncle Sam is going to staff an FIS for 5 gates just so corndogs don't get dwarfed by others' heavies. Pretty easy to lift the aforementioned mortgage when that's your reality.

I hope they make you pay to play in DCA, or you get froze out for being cheap. Hey, did you see where Motley Fool just ranked you?

Another question: what has SWA ever given up? Anything in the AirTran merger? I think it would be great if American insists you swap half your Hobby gates/routes for some DCA slots! Why isn't that part of the dialog?
Love Field:,you got to stay and the agreement was continuously tweaked for decades so it was just right for you.

The city of Dallas and all the airlines serving Love Field had agreed to move to the new airport when it opened. But Southwest came into existence in 1971, after that agreement, and never signed the deal.

1973: U.S. Supreme Court rules in favor of Southwest, stating that as long as Love Field remained open as an airport, Southwest could do business there.

The primary obstacle along Southwest?s path to success was a piece of legislation called the Wright Amendment, sponsored by former Fort Worth Congressman Jim Wright in 1979. Wright?s aim was to protect competing airport Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport from losing business when Southwest refused to stay out of Dallas Love Field airport.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/43714139

You've shaped the entire production of the 737.

Your point? When an airline makes the commitments to Boeing that SWA has they will be afforded the same liberties.

The firm order is the largest in Boeing history both in dollar value, nearly $19 billion at list prices, and the number of airplanes. It supports Southwest's initiative to modernize its all-Boeing fleet, the world's largest fleet of 737s.

"Southwest is a special Boeing customer and has been a true partner in the evolution of the 737," said Boeing Commercial Airplanes President and CEO Jim Albaugh. "Throughout our 40-year relationship, our two companies have collaborated to launch the 737-300, 737-500 and the Next-Generation 737-700 ? affirming the 737 as the world's preferred single-aisle airplane. As launch customer for the 737 MAX, Southwest, Boeing and the 737 continue that legacy."
http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=20295&item=2072

Despite solid BM legislation, you got to do whatever you wanted to Airtan.

The carrier can satisfy this duty by accepting a voluntarily negotiated or arbitrated list from the employee group parties.
http://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/...ity+Integration+And+The+MccaskillBond+Statute

Uncle Sam is going to staff an FIS for 5 gates just so corndogs don't get dwarfed by others' heavies.

Generally, a civic or government organization such as a chamber of commerce, port authority or city government, makes a request in writing to the Commissioner of Customs and Border Protection.

The requesting community must: prepare a report that shows how the benefits to be derived justify the Federal Government expense.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...protection-and-other-federal-services-at-port

Hey, did you see where Motley Fool just ranked you?

The Motley Fool is a joke, try again with someone credible like MSN instead of a site that says in its masthead that its purpose is to "amuse."

Nope, if you want to build a million-dollar portfolio you need a set of rules and then the right stocks to own. As for owning the right stocks, how about Southwest Airlines (LUV +0.85%)?
This stock has soared 18% since the beginning of the month, but that?s just the beginning.
Without getting too much into the details of what led me to Southwest what I see here is a stock that has the potential to double in value in a very short period of time.
It is that doubling in value that can have you getting to a million dollars a lot quicker than standing idly by in an index fund.
http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post--3-reasons-southwest-air-could-double-in-value

I think it would be great if American insists you swap half your Hobby gates/routes for some DCA slots! Why isn't that part of the dialog?

American doesn't make those decisions the DOJ does.

According to the GAO study on this merger, the AA/US system of overlapping connecting routes is 30 percent greater than similar overlapping connecting routes that existed with the UA/CO merger. These overlapping connecting routes demonstrate the nationwide loss of competition and the increased likelihood of the merged carrier reducing service in ?rationalizing? their route structures.

DOJ which approved previous mergers based on airline executive promises and airline-provided studies noticed that such statements and studies did not bear out after mergers were complete. Hubs were closed or downsized. Service was cut back. Staff was laid off. Prices on routes with less competition were increased.

http://consumertravelalliance.org/2013/10/10/12-reasons-the-aaus-merger-is-not-like-dlnw-or-uaco/

I hope Bogota is one. I want to get in on the $130 fare. Or, are we going to see SWA/GK welch on that just like they did the jobs number?

It's funny how SWA wants to distance itself from the Houston Airport System study numbers, but it's the only airline it was written for.

It's funny how SWA wants to distance itself from the Houston Airport System study numbers, but it's the only airline it was written for.

Flop,

For the twentieth time, if you watched Gary Kelly's presentation you would have seen him guarantee 80ish new jobs from Southwest. Eight Zero. He said he couldn't guarantee anything more than that because he doesn't control anything beyond that (read vendor hiring and services).

What part of this don't you get? If the Houston City Council ran some other study of possible jobs...then that's their problem. Gary made this VERY clear during the Q&A sessions.

Latest resources

Back