So tell us about biplanes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

9GClub

The 150's ok, but the closed cabin is getting on my nerves. Anybody own/fly a two-winger (or, God forbid, an *ULTRALIGHT*)? Is it true that cruising in a Stearman or a Waco is the quintessential aviation experience? [Insert Mile-High Club jokes here.] Do all the struts/wires/windscreens get in the way [of the flying, not the club initiations] or are they tolerable? I wanna fly one off a grass strip one day, and so far it looks like I'm looking at building a strip and coming up with >$75k. Is giving rides (i.e. a business) in something like that an insurance nightmare?

Insurance will kill you on scenic rides in a biplane

check out wacoclassic.com for some cool planes though

9GClub said:
The 150's ok, but the closed cabin is getting on my nerves. Anybody own/fly a two-winger (or, God forbid, an *ULTRALIGHT*)? Is it true that cruising in a Stearman or a Waco is the quintessential aviation experience? [Insert Mile-High Club jokes here.] Do all the struts/wires/windscreens get in the way [of the flying, not the club initiations] or are they tolerable? I wanna fly one off a grass strip one day, and so far it looks like I'm looking at building a strip and coming up with >$75k. Is giving rides (i.e. a business) in something like that an insurance nightmare?

Two wings are awesome. Stearmans suck (just my opinion), Waco's are good, a Pitts is better. And I am one of the few that like the S-2's over the S-1.

It is always neat cruising around and seeing two wings out there.

I forgot to specify open-cockpit...... so we have one vote for Waco over Stearman, anybody wanna chip in?

9GClub said:
I forgot to specify open-cockpit...... so we have one vote for Waco over Stearman, anybody wanna chip in?

The Pitts I owned (S-1C) was an open cockpit.

But if I had to choose between a Waco and Stearman, I would choose the Waco.

Waco. Greatest experience ever. Flying tours can work in certain markets, but there is serious liability involved. Insurance on that type of operation will be very high, but it can offset the cost of ownership.

I flew a Stearman a few times, and enjoyed every second of it.

In a couple of years, I will be flying a 1910 Glenn Curtiss biplane called the "Hudson-Flier".

Latest resources

Back