Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
9GClub said:
BD, why not?

They are hot, cold, and windy. If you actually want to go somewhere, especially a touchy S1C, you really have to be aware of wind vs runway, and so forth. I live in the north, and that cuts the devil out of your utilization. However, I do miss the dawn patrol on a summer morn with 15 or 20 minutes of acro to start the day off.

www.bdkingpress.com

Last edited:
A steerman was my first tailwheel plane and man did I love it...wouldnt want to fly long distances but the sounds and the feeling from an open cockpit is awesome!!! :)

I've got time in the Too and a UPF-7. Loved them both, but as BD said, not real practical except for short trips in temperate weather. I'm leaning toward a Wag Aero Acro Sport Trainer when I retire so I can have a bit of heat in winter, but still remove the window and open the door in summer.

I own a Pitts S1-C and an EAA Biplane. The Pitts has a canopy, so no open cockpit. It's a blast to fly, responsive like a fine-tuned sports car. And flat out scary to land! I second the thought about being VERY aware of wind direction/velocity vs runway alignment.

The EAA Bipe is open cockpit and great fun, albeit at a slower and gentler pace. Good for basic aerobatics, and doing loops and rolls in an open cockpit plane is something no one should miss! I also second the thought that open cockpit requires some planning based on ambient temps. 65 may feel alright on the ground, but in an open cockpit plane it's downright chilly!

Neither plane is a great cross-country ride. But the EAA Bipe has surprisingly good forward visibility during landing, and is easy. Neither plane carries more than one pax (the pilot), so forget rides. But both are very affordable.

I'm hoping there's a Glasair III or a Chanute in my future!:)

Latest resources

Back