• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ePilot22

BuyTheTicket~TakeTheRide
!!! - Rant - !!!

Yesterday, March 1st the flight school I instruct at was bought out by another flight school on the field.

I was (like every other instructor) an independent contracting instructor earning $35/hour for basic flight instruction. The other flight school is not independent. They charge the customer $35, but pay their CFIs $15 to $20/hour (before taxes). They expect a certain numbers of flight hours per month and also expect CFIs to build and maintain their own student base, yet for every student I teach they're going to take more than 50% of what I'm earning. :eek:

As for the students of my flight school, they aren't going to see much of a change EXCEPT for the fact that all the 141 credit is gone. Most will now be 61, which isn't that bad I guess.

The worst part is these guys come into our school and walk around like they own the place and give us a looks like we don't belong. We all now have to "prove" ourselves to them too. Nothing is supposed to change for the next 30 days and then at that point they will make some "job offers" to the CFIs they want to keep. The others will find themselves out of a job and possibly without students (if they had some before the take-over, but were not offered a job in 30 days).:mad:

So I guess my problem is will they allow me to spread my own cheeks before they shove it in or not.:erm:

We had our run at things, but it's over now and that's the hardest part. I started with my flight school in early 2001 and did all my certs and ratings there except for the CFI and II. I've been instructing there since Aug. 05 and it's no more...:( .

Here's to the Irishman, see ya at O'Neill's :beer: !

eP.

Last edited:
Nice link to the food stamp program. Don't ask how I recognized it.

Gubment cheez is da shizzle!

Last edited:
Well you just got a case of what it's like to fly for the regionals.

If you've been flying hard, you should be near 1000 hours by now, kick out some applications. That's usually how it goes, get shat on - apply to somewhere bigger and better. It happens at all levels of this crazy industry.

dirtybird said:
Gubment cheez is da shizzle!

Fo Sho!!!

Diesel said:
Well you just got a case of what it's like to fly for the regionals.

I can't begin to know what the ASA guys must have felt then! It's rough!

Cardinal said:
If you've been flying hard, you should be near 1000 hours by now, kick out some applications. That's usually how it goes, get shat on - apply to somewhere bigger and better. It happens at all levels of this crazy industry.

Only 600TT/60ME and one semester left of school. I did apply to a jump place and left my resume with some A&Ps in case they have anything that needs ferrying. Or I can try and stick it out until the end of the year, then find the bigger and better!

Thanks.

eP.

ePilot22 said:
I was (like every other instructor) an independent contracting instructor earning $35/hour (tax-free) for basic flight instruction. The other flight school is not independent. They charge the customer $35, but pay their CFIs $15 to $20/hour (before taxes).

...........yet for every student I teach they're going to take more than 50% of what I'm earning. :eek:

Sound like someone hasn't been paying his taxes. If you're "independent", you need to report your own earnings. Granted, most people won't report all of them (DUH...), but the IRS might come a knockin' in a few years when you do begin to earn again. They're gonna want to find out why you've been reporting your employer on your credit bureaus (it's automatic when you apply for any credit), but haven't had any income.

ePilot22 said:
The worst part is these guys come into our school and walk around like they own the place.

Since they bought it, they do own the place. If I paid for a facility, I'd walk around it, too.

There's my rant.

I'd watch the tax stuff, though. Not too smart, Gus.

Tax

What he said !! The tax stuff is a "Big-o Problem-o". Not only do you owe the IRS income tax on those earnings, but you would also owe the state (if there's state income tax in that state). Another LARGE problem is that you owe double social security and medicare taxes on it, and there's no escaping that. Social security is 6.2% (times 2 ... 6.2% from the employee and 6.2% from the employer on the first $90,000 or so a year) and medicare is 1.45% (times 2 ... 1.45% from the employee and 1.45% from the employer on all payroll earnings).

Worse yet, a CFI doesn't meet any of the validation tests to establish themselves as an independent contractor. Therefore you and the flight school could well be in "Bad Mojo" with the taxing authorities.

If you haven't been paying your taxes, you might well be better off if this flight school disappears, along with all it's business records!

TransMach

I'm a 1099'ed instructor at a part 141 school. They charge 50 for instruction and I only get 20. I also have to hang out at the offices in my "airline pilot uniform" and sell charts, plates, AFDs and answer the phones and not get paid for that time. They don't make me show up to do that but this is the only way to get students (so they say). Unfortunately this is the only place to work in my town where you can fly everyday so I just stay positive and get it done. As far as taxes are concerned - I used to work for a general contractor who 1099ed me and he showed me how to do the tax return and write of driving expense and cost of supplies etc. It's not too hard to break even.

Sorry to hear about all that epilot. Welcome to the club.

Oh no! I'm feeling emotional! Here comes my rant:

You know, I think its becoming obvious that if you get into this for anything other than the enjoyment of the job (like money) your screwed. This is really unfortunate. I have my freaking students hitting me up for deals to cut down the cost of training. I mean SH!T - PPL must cost me 6000 or less - I must find an east to west cost ticket for $100

Flying as a career isn't much different than trying to make a living as a professional musician. People expect you to pay to play. Makes me sick.
I love it too much to get out but that shouldn't affect what I'm entiltled to be payed as a professional. Hell I wearing the damm pilot uniform!!!!!:bawling:

Flying rocks but life sucks when you're trying to feed your family with the profession. Wife's pregnant so I can say FAMILY. I'm going to get a beer.

mcjohn said:
I'm a 1099'ed instructor at a part 141 school. They charge 50 for instruction and I only get 20. I also have to hang out at the offices in my "airline pilot uniform" and sell charts, plates, AFDs and answer the phones and not get paid for that time. They don't make me show up to do that but this is the only way to get students (so they say). Unfortunately this is the only place to work in my town where you can fly everyday so I just stay positive and get it done. As far as taxes are concerned - I used to work for a general contractor who 1099ed me and he showed me how to do the tax return and write of driving expense and cost of supplies etc. It's not too hard to break even.

Sorry to hear about all that epilot. Welcome to the club.

Oh no! I'm feeling emotional! Here comes my rant:

You know, I think its becoming obvious that if you get into this for anything other than the enjoyment of the job (like money) your screwed. This is really unfortunate. I have my freaking students hitting me up for deals to cut down the cost of training. I mean SH!T - PPL must cost me 6000 or less - I must find an east to west cost ticket for $100

Flying as a career isn't much different than trying to make a living as a professional musician. People expect you to pay to play. Makes me sick.
I love it too much to get out but that shouldn't affect what I'm entiltled to be payed as a professional. Hell I wearing the damm pilot uniform!!!!!:bawling:

Flying rocks but life sucks when you're trying to feed your family with the profession. Wife's pregnant so I can say FAMILY. I'm going to get a beer.

McJohn,
My avatar sucks. Where did you get yours?
Your wife's pregnant? Did you post here last year about how you can afford a family on a CFI's pay?
icon24.gif

Anywho, I'm working on my CFII as an inital. I started out wanting to be an airline pilot but I've decided that I can't make desent money in the airlines or something.
It sucks for e-pilot that his illegal but sweet heart deal was cut off. That's life.

Yeah that was me. I was thinking if working full time at a pilot/rating mill with benefits it might be possible but part time bellhoppin around part time instructing is it for now. Full coverage benefits and 401k etc..for only working 16 hours a week at the hotel. Sweet deal.

Latest resources

Back