So, my entire flight bag was stolen...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Illini Pilot

...yesterday out of my car. Smashed my window, grabbed my flightbag and the face off my stereo. Lost all my licenses, medical, headset, LOGBOOKS, electronic E6B, kneeboard, flashlights, etc. This sucks, anyone have any advice on how to go about getting my logbooks, etc back in order? I know i should get the PRIA from the FAA to update my logbooks(my last 8710 form was in august) I have about 375 hrs, which about 225 or so i have my university logbooks for. What should i make sure i have if i ever want to interview at an airline?

Sorry man

I am sorry to hear that. It happened to me last year and it is a pain in the a$$ to replace everything. Lucky enough I had made a copy of my log book the day before for work. I was told to call up the FAA and get a copy of my 8710 from my last checkride. That is about the only way you can prove how many hours you have, then you have to go back and try to find all the flight since your 8710. I am not sure how you will be able to show what all endorsements you have. Your car insurance may pay for the rest of your flight gear. Good lucky amigo
DD

If I were you I would not get the FAA involved, just make a new logbook, the FAA will find a way to screw you. Start a new logbook and do the best you can to make it as close to the stolen one.

Ok.....sow hat posessed you to leave your flightbag in your CAR!@&

In these times after 9-11 you should know better.........great now we have a Pilot liscense out there on the street.

If you need to rebuild your logbook......contact the FAA and get a copy of your last checkride application.......your most recent will have your times breakdown there.....

That printout is as good as the logbook....

Hope you learned

You are right, it sucks. But do not worry about it as, don't take this an insult, with your total time, you can verify most of your flight time. If you had, say, 5000 hours and was looking for the airline slot, you would have some real problems.

Make sure you get a police report as well. That way, after you recreate your logbook, you'll have "proof" of your story at any future interviews.

no prob dude... turn this negative into a positive...

Whatever that log was in the past, add a couple hun hours and call it a day. Crack a beer and salute the sky... yessirree.

amen

Illini Pilot said:
...yesterday out of my car. Smashed my window, grabbed my flightbag and the face off my stereo. Lost all my licenses, medical, headset, LOGBOOKS, electronic E6B, kneeboard, flashlights, etc. This sucks, anyone have any advice on how to go about getting my logbooks, etc back in order? I know i should get the PRIA from the FAA to update my logbooks(my last 8710 form was in august) I have about 375 hrs, which about 225 or so i have my university logbooks for. What should i make sure i have if i ever want to interview at an airline?
LOGBOOK:

I'm sure you called the appropriate law enforcement agency. GET A REPORT. GET TWO REPORTS. GET THEM NOTARIZED, IF NECESSARY. You will want to be able to establish without doubt that the originals were lost through no fault of your own. Keep a copy of the Police Report with the new log book you will start, and keep a copy in a safe place in case it happens again.

Reconstruct a logbook to the best of your ability. Use the FAA resources, FBO records, CFI's logbook, WHATEVER you can scrape up to reconstruct the logboook with as much detail as possible. Make an entry where the reconstruction ends and make note of the theft.

CERTIFICATES:

Temporary Certificate

During normal business hours, any FAA Flight Standards Duty Officer (FSDO) can confirm an airman's certificate and issue a temporary certificate. However, confirmation of a medical certificate must be by FAX.

Permanent Replacement Airman Certificate

To replace a lost or stolen certificate, write to:

FAA; Airman Certification Branch (AFS-760)
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125
Request must include:

• Name of the person to whom certificate was issued.
• Permanent mailing address.
• SSN.
• Date and place of birth.
• Any available information regarding grade, number, and date of issue of the certificate; ratings on it.
• Check or money order for $2.00 payable to the FAA.

A request form is available on the web at www.faa.gov/fsdo/mem. Select: “Change of Address Form for lost certificate or address change.”

NOTE

For replacement of Restricted Radio/Telephone Operators Permit contact “Universal Licensing System Hotline at 1-877-480-3201, option #2,

(The above info is from an FOM - - I believe the information about SSAN might be dated - - use your certificate number if it's not your SSAN. In fact, I'd recommend you take the opportunity to get your SSAN OFF your certificate if it isn't already.)

INSURANCE:

Check with your HOMEOWNER'S or RENTER'S insurance to see if the contents of your car were covered (flightbag, headset, electronic E6B, kneeboard, flashlights, etc.). It's doubtful the car insurance will cover contents.

Your certificates belong in your wallet, and your logbook should stay at home unless you need to get an endorsement. It definitely doesn't belong in an unattended auto - - now you know why. Keep a photocopy of your logbook in a different, safe place. Photocopy new pages as you fill them. Invest in a good electronic logbook.

I've been the target of a smash and grab before, and although I lost nothing that couldn't be replaced, it felt awful. Sorry to hear about it - - hope it all works out for ya.

Oh - - you asked a question about an interview . . . you'll need a good story to tell about your fake logbook - - bring the police report!​

(I hate this "WYSIWYG" editor - - I did NOT change the font size for this sentence, or the one preceding it - - and I can't get it back to a "2"! ! ! ARGGGHHHHH)​

:)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back