So I got failed on my -II today....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hindsight,

You mentioned this a couple of times and noone has commented on it. Even though the only thing you failed is the hold, the examiner can "sample" other maneuvers, and you can bet he'll be evaluating the whole flight.

Just a heads up.

You want wind + holds, try it in a piston helicopter with the same winds you quoted. Outbound leg was 10 knots GS, inbound 120 knots, with a huge correction angle. (You can do the math and figure out how agonizingly long the outbound leg was.) This was on my rotor CFII ride.

Hang in there, buddy. I busted my CFII ride too. (It was NOT the easiest ride of them all; it was the hardest!) But I'm standing here to tell you that it hasn't hurt me at all (at least not yet), and I really learned a lot about having the proper attitude and mindset through the experience. This too shall pass. Go back to the same guy, do your hold, and get the freak out of there.

-Goose

P.S. My easiest ride ever was probably the CFI-G. It was a two-question oral and about .6 flying.

True words of wisdom Goose.

Did the re-check yesterday, brought a machine gun to the fight this time. Dual VOR, dual standby-frequency nav/coms, ADF, heading bug, NICE NEW GYROS, IFR GPS (albeit I didn't use it). DE had me do another intersection hold and it was a cake, like flying MS flight Simulator :D And the weather was even windier and much colder yesterday. (20F, 270 @ 19G24KTS at the surface)...The wonders that a heading bug do for the mental math!

Did write down my clearance this time, put all my radials before takeoff too, (in hindsight, what a brainfart the first ride was, I do all these "items" by default when I go single pilot IFR as part of my flow..d$mn it :D) and made all the callouts entering, leaving the hold, and transitioning from enroute to terminal for the approach.

Felt really good getting that little piece of paper, I slept much better last night :D Now to find a job and start learning once again, looking forward to it.

Thanks for the feedback folks

hindsight2020 said:
True words of wisdom Goose.

Did the re-check yesterday, brought a machine gun to the fight this time. Dual VOR, dual standby-frequency nav/coms, ADF, heading bug, NICE NEW GYROS, IFR GPS (albeit I didn't use it). DE had me do another intersection hold and it was a cake, like flying MS flight Simulator :D And the weather was even windier and much colder yesterday. (20F, 270 @ 19G24KTS at the surface)...The wonders that a heading bug do for the mental math!

Did write down my clearance this time, put all my radials before takeoff too, (in hindsight, what a brainfart the first ride was, I do all these "items" by default when I go single pilot IFR as part of my flow..d$mn it :D) and made all the callouts entering, leaving the hold, and transitioning from enroute to terminal for the approach.

Felt really good getting that little piece of paper, I slept much better last night :D Now to find a job and start learning once again, looking forward to it.

Thanks for the feedback folks
Very nice, congratulations:beer: on me :D

Congratulations! By the way, you have now learned a valuable lesson - anyone can bust any ride anytime. Now the next lesson to be learned is that know one will ever care if you bust a checkride or two along the way. Now back to work.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back