Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So... Any way to make a decent living in FW air ambulance?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Goose Egg

Big Jens
Just wondering... Looks like an extremely rewarding job. Any way to make a career out of it?

Thanks
-Goose

Yeah, just pick a job and stay there! :D It is a rewarding job, but you'll have to search around for the good and bad EMS operators out there. Look for good QOL, pay, benefits...you know, normal stuff. I like it, but I really don't want to fly a King Air for the rest of my life, either. :)

Sweet. I can imagine what you mean about the King Air thing, although it's larger and cooler than anything I've flown so far. But it is good to know that there is decent QOL and pay to be found out there, I guess that's just what I was wondering.

Thanks!

although it's larger and cooler than anything I've flown so far
The other advantage to the King Air is that you are normally home every night. Not a bad thing, plus a great airplane.

While it wont be my last job I do really enjoy it now. Like vanman said theres good and bad. Just do some research.

Thanks all for the input. I like the idea of being home every night, and flying a cool airplane and helping people out in the process. Any ballpark figure for what I should expect for salary? How about schedule? What is considered "good?"

Also, should I plan on doing some time at the regionals, or should I see what I can get now (total time is about 1200/100) Do I need a significant amount of turbine PIC to find a good EMS job? (I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything.)

Thanks so much guys, I wasn't expecting anyone to respond to this thread for a while, if ever.

-Goose

Last edited:
Ok, it now seems that you are asking about career advice instead of EMS advice, I'm not qualified to help you on that subject, but from my experience, EMS flying isn't too good for building time. If you are looking for an airline career, I will let some of the regional crews step in and advise you, good luck.

Started doing air ambulance few years ago in a Lear. At start, had 2800 TT with about 1500 ME (piston). Insurance mins. of at least 2000 TT and over 1000 ME was what the company needed.

We also operate a King Air 200 and that was even more hours, 3000 TT, 1500 ME cause of the single pilot.

While you kinda have Part 135 mins, you really need to break the 2000TT and up your ME time. The insurance under writers and the insurance costs is what I think out boss goes by cause that what he has to pay.

So, either CFI it where you can get the ME or then do the regional game and get the TT/ME and turbin expierence.

By the way, there is a Twin Cessna operator that does air ambulance somplace near Corpus Christi. Have heard mins. are in your ball park. Also, might consider Cape Air.

And yes, flying sick people is very rewarding. Almost never rude, mean, upset, etc.

Say Again Over said:
EMS flying isn't too good for building time. If you are looking for an airline career, I will let some of the regional crews step in and advise you, good luck.

Naw, just the opposite. I'm looking for a way to spend as little time at the airlines as possible... I mean, I probably shouldn't knock it until I've tried it, but I sense that the nature of the job, if I stay there too many years, will leave me bored, frustrated, lonely, and bitter, and I don't want to live like that. It looks like I'll be a regional pilot for a little while, but it will strictly be a "get in, get time, get out" type of deal. I'd much rather find a good 91 job or a 135 EMS job that I could stay at for a while--especially if it lets me be home often.

FlaZoomie said:
While you kinda have Part 135 mins, you really need to break the 2000TT and up your ME time. The insurance under writers and the insurance costs is what I think out boss goes by cause that what he has to pay... So, either CFI it where you can get the ME or then do the regional game and get the TT/ME and turbin expierence.

Well, I'm definitely not going to instruct another 800 hours, at least not when there's higher pay and turbine experience to be had elsewhere, so of to the regionals I go, and I suppose that I'll start trying to build some contacts in the corporate and EMS fields in the mean time, so when I have the time I have someplace to go.

In any case, thank both of you guys for the advice. I'd love to hear anything else you have to say.

-Goose

Last edited:
we fly with co-pilots in our c90's and have an opening now. Usually upgrade after a year or so. PM me if interested.

Latest resources

Back