Snowboarding CHILE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Silent Partner

I'm planning on taking a trip down to South America Santiago, CHILE and go snowboarding in July. Anyone been down there or been skiing/boarding down there and can give advise in what resort to go to. If there are any intermediate boarders on here and would like to go with me let me know.

Portillo is probably your best bet for something outside of Sanitago (keep in mind they only sell week long all-inclusive packages). Las Lenas (outside Mendoza, Argentina) probably has the best terrain of any resort in South America. Bariloche (cerro catedral) over in Argentina is a cool town worth checking out as well if you have the time. I spent a few months down there as a ski bum a while back living the "Endless Winter". When you ski more than 200 days a year you know you've gone a little overboard! Have fun.

As for nightlife and such, I highly recommend Bariloche between June and September. All the young hotties of Buenos Aries head down there to party. It is some sort of South American Spring Break. There is a reason they call the town "Bar y Noche". Good times.

The all inclusive is not the only way to go. I was going last yr but had a knee injury.My research told me to stay in Santiago and ski some of the closer resorts.I'll look for my stuff and get back to you.

Getrad,
thanks for the suggestions I HIGHLY appreciate it! I've decided to fly into Santiago and go to Farellones area. I was going to hit El Colorado and La Parva. I found a ski hostel one block from the resorts there. Now I'm wondering how to get from the airport to the hostel. Is paying for those transportation vans worth it? I'm not too cool with renting a car.

I went to Portillo last year this month. The best sking I have ever had. The nightlife was ok, mostly families.

Jtodd,

How did you get around? Did you use the vans to take you to the resort or did you rent a car? Also was it pretty expensive?

Silent Partner,
How good is your Spanish? I just rode the bus everywhere. In the mountains I also did alot of hitchhiking. Thumbing it is also a great way to meet some cool local folks. If you get a van shuttle at the airport, don't be afraid to bargain with your driver (also try to find some other people at the airport who are obviously going skiing and try to split the cost of a van). I would definitely NOT reccomend renting a car. Driving in South America is chaos. I made the mistake of renting a Fiat in Argentina and have never been more scared behind the wheel.

Spanish is not so great, but I have been studying and using that rosetta stone cd program. I can ask how to get to a certain place but holding a conversation.....ehhhhh. But I will definately take that advice and try to talk to the van drivers about cutting me a deal and look for other skiers heading that way. Hey one other question, correct me if I'm wrong but the US dollar is worth quite a bit in Chile?

Latest resources

Back