• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Smashed windshield UAX

Gobi Gred

Total Time
Why does this keep making the news!? It's not a big deal. It scares the sh** out of you if you are the one flying the plane when it does but at no time are you really in danger. The QRH doesn't even say land at the nearest suitable airport. I don't blame a PIC for diverting if they choose to do so because it is incredibly unnerving the first time you have a windshield shatter. But it's not worthy of being in the news.

JumpersAway

Cruise Bores Me.......
Total Time
9000++
Got that T-shirt. Happened enroute to ATL over GSO at 30K. Actually sounded like a shotgun at first....lol. It definately got my morning off to a wicked start, but it wasn't a big deal. We just continued into Atlanta at a lower altitude and slower airspeed. Definately not newsworthy, but to someone that doesn't know about flying, it looks like the apocalypse is coming.

Tarzan

Total Time
I'm guessing...........

They were practicing for the corn holing Hulas is going to be giving them and the FO had his head rammed into the windscreen. Wall-ah! Busted windscreen.

propsarebest

Total Time
When I was at OO, you could count on this happening 4-5 times a week, especially in the summer. No biggie...

Club ORD FO

Total Time
My middle layer shattered while on the ground during my IOE . Very loud but non event, except that the flight was cancelled. we ferried it unpressurized, not a big deal

SpauldingSmails

Aboard the sloop.
Total Time
>7000
Seems to be pretty common on the CRJ's.

DX Rick

Total Time
Seems to be pretty common on the CRJ's.
And Challengers.
I was in Lake Havasu, AZ when Bombardier and the company who makes the windshield was out there doing testing as to why this continues to happen.

SpauldingSmails

Aboard the sloop.
Total Time
>7000
Yeah, I'm sure its quite the process. Could be uneven heating, pressure or vibration transmitted through the airframe, different expansion/contraction rate for the layers... seems to be a thousand different reasons as to why it might be. Good thing its a fairly benign failure.