SmartSkies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Its running almost nonstop in DCA.

Deceptive, even worse than most political slam ads. Too bad they don't mention the percentage of departures bizav has at LGA, JFK, EWR, DCA, IAD (well, maybe they got me there), ATL, DFW, ORD, LAX, and SFO....and then run the percentage of departures regional jets have at the same airports.

Yeah...it maybe true that there are twice as many GA biz jets as airliners, but 99% of those biz jets don't fly into the congested airline airports.

However, they should probably pay into the ATC system alittle more than they do now.

However, they should probably pay into the ATC system alittle more than they do now.

Everybody pays the same now via a per-gallon fuel tax.

Why should GA be forced to pay an unfair additional subsidy for an air traffic system that is built specifically to cater to the large hub airports of the airlines?

All the pro-user fee advocates say that we need a new revenue system to pay for ATC modernization. And if we don't have ATC modernization, then we'll be facing complete gridlock at the nation's airports. But that gridlock will take place at all the major airline aiirports because of their inability to schedule efficiently. So why should GA pilots and aircraft owners pay more for that? Especially considering the Government Accounting Office has stated that there is plenty of money in the Aviation Trust Fund to pay for NextGen, and that the proposed system would bring in less revenue than the current one.

People who seem to constantly run their businesses into bankruptcy have no right to tell the FAA that they need to be run more like a business.

Oh..come on...the ATC system doesn't only caters to large hubs. Of course, they require more man power. A GA flight from PWK to APA still uses the Chicago and Denver TRACON. The fuel tax is a fine foundation for funding basic ATC services, but as the number of aircraft increase (airline and GA), the cost to develop a better ATC system cannot be supported by fuel tax alone. Do you think its fair for a GA aircraft to only pay for a fraction of the services it is supplied?

Last edited:
Especially considering the Government Accounting Office has stated that there is plenty of money in the Aviation Trust Fund to pay for NextGen, and that the proposed system would bring in less revenue than the current one.

That maybe true, but biz jets still use the same system and are provided the same service as airliners. Last time I was in the New York TRACON, there was just as much attention and resources used on coordinating TEB and HPN traffic as LGA and JFK. The same flow control computers were used.

I'd really like to know how much per aircraft the FAA spends on GA versus Airline flights...

Last time I was in the New York TRACON, there was just as much attention and resources used on coordinating TEB and HPN traffic as LGA and JFK.

TEB, MMU, and HPN are very busy bizav airports...but they relieve those aircraft from congested, chronic delay-prone EWR, JFK and LGA. Remember just how much non-121 traffic went up at MDW when Daley bulldozed Meigs? ATC might devote equal time and resources to a bizjet as they do any airliner, but that equal time and equal resources do not equate to delays for airline passengers. The equal time and resources point can be argued also...just ask anybody whose sat at TEB or MMU for hours babysitting a radio, waiting for ground to call and tell you that you can start engines and taxi and your delay will only be 45 minutes from your ready to taxi call...

I'd really like to know how much per aircraft the FAA spends on GA versus Airline flights...

I would too.

I would also like to know the percentage of 121 vs. non-121 ops at the 10 most airline delay-prone airports in the United States.

And then I'd like to know exactly WTF the first question has to do with the second vs. airline delays, which is the talking point of SmartSkies.

And then I'd like to know exactly WTF the first question has to do with the second vs. airline delays, which is the talking point of SmartSkies.

The commercial is outrages. The smartskies really F'd that one up. Biz jets don't cause delays at large airports. They don't get priority handling by ATC. That "advertisement" really torqued me off.

However...the point of smartskies is that GA aircraft don't pay a fair share. I think the term "fair share" means apples to apples. A GA aircraft that flys from TEB to PWK uses the same services as an airliners from LGA to ORD. I agree with that.

The airlines get all moist over the NextGen ATC systems only for one reason....fuel savings.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back