Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ravengirl

Sierra Whiskey!
News here just reported two fatalities. Apparently a Cessna (note: they call all small planes 'Cessna') hit a radio tower west of Fullerton (KFUL.) They made sure to mention the station was still broadcasting *rolls eyes*

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4009003/detail.html

Anyone know anything else?

Stephanie

Last edited:
It was daytime, and apparently good visibility according to the METARs.

The 900' tower came down after the crash. I, too am relieved that the station was able to keep broadcasting! :rolleyes:

Vik said:
I wonder if its the same tower thats on the Terminal Area Chart, the Californa Pilot's Guide pull-out chart for FUL. I think I even remember it .. I think its AM 640. Huge tower. I wonder if it was at night?
That's right - tower is for KFI, 640 AM. One of the last clear channel AM stations in existence. Tower is about a mile from the airport - between the departure end of 24 and I-5 freeway.

Peace

SF

I used to flight instruct at FUL. That was always the item we, as instructors, emphasized to our students - how to avoid the towers. I think this is at least the third fatal plane crash involving that tower.

If you are using an AM tower as a fix for practicing holds, you must be higher thatn the CAGL height of the tower to do so...unless it's a FOX affiliate.

Thats the KFI tower right? That thing is big, always use that to turn base going into FUL...... yep it was :(

Last edited:
That tower used to give me the Heebie Jeebies whenever I'd depart IFR. That's a serious transmitter. I drove from SLC to BOI the other night and listened to KFI the whole way. It's gotta be 600 miles from KFUL to KSLC with lots of mountains inbetween.

EagleRJ said:
It was daytime, and apparently good visibility according to the METARs.

The 900' tower came down after the crash. I, too am relieved that the station was able to keep broadcasting! :rolleyes:
I was out driving today...it was one of the most clear days we've had all year!

Latest resources

Back