Slow Taxiing in DFW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IFLYASA

Is it just me or does anyone else notice how slow American's Super 80's taxi in DFW? Last week ground gave me the grand tour of DFW airport and I got caught behind and AMR MD-80. Even with single engine, I rode the brakes so much the BTMS was pushing 5, and I hardly used the brakes on landing. Anytime I get behind AMR, it's always the same, like a slow crawl.. Is there a reason for this annoyance? At least my calves are getting fit.

IFLYASA said:
Is it just me or does anyone else notice how slow American's Super 80's taxi in DFW? Last week ground gave me the grand tour of DFW airport and I got caught behind and AMR MD-80. Even with single engine, I rode the brakes so much the BTMS was pushing 5, and I hardly used the brakes on landing. Anytime I get behind AMR, it's always the same, like a slow crawl.. Is there a reason for this annoyance? At least my calves are getting fit.

I notice the same thing and it does seem to be primarily the -80 crews. Not sure, but it seems like they are stuck in neutral!

Is there anything that the AA guys might be upset about? How are things over there? Are there any kind of problems in the airline industry right now? Could it be that some of the guys there might be p.o.'d about something?

Wasted said:
Is there anything that the AA guys might be upset about? How are things over there? Are there any kind of problems in the airline industry right now? Could it be that some of the guys there might be p.o.'d about something?

I thought about that, but it is almost exclusively the "Thooper" 80. Can't figure it out, but it's bad.

They're pretty **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** fast coming off the ramp or crossing one of the parallels when they cut us off. THEN they slow down.

IFLYASA said:

Supposedly it's because they have some kind of a "mechanical" before T/O checklist that is really long, and the Capt has to answer to each item, instead of concentrating on taxiing the a/c.

I also heard that the Capt, not the FO, has to seat the Flight attendants before takeoff.... now that's messed up! Who the heck is taxiing?

ASA go around

Last month ASA had to go around after it took 5 mins for an American super 80

to taxi across 18L. So your right they are taking there sweet old time taxing. The super 80 has become the slug 80. But then I saw a 757 taxing at a go rate yesturday, so Im not exactly sure what is going on with the AA pilot group.
Im not a SouthWest pilot that beleives your not taxing if you dont have any indicated airspeed, but on straight aways a nice jog would be appropriate. The medium pace walk is the rule for GA, so that one can stop his machine if the brakes stop working. Have you ever seen a Boeing break test on a RTO simulation. Technology has improved and the use of common sence should be used, it would be nice if disgrunteled pilots dont send their brothers of the air around.
We are all working against the clock and increasing fiancial stress. When the day is done I colapse as I walk through the door, I don't want to do another approach for a freaking slow taxing plane. Remember your brothers are out there just trying to make a buck too.

I heard a story about a American 777 Captain say "I put two kids through college taxing like this".

Besides whats your hurry. Did we sign a new contract yet?

701EV

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back