Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dav8or said:
Mountain Bike

Hard tail. Spend the money on components. I don’t ride anything less than XT. Riding trails is a different animal. Learn on the hard tail and wait for the full suspension, you’ll be a better rider.

Unless I find a great deal on a fully sprung bike I'll go with a hardtail. I'd rather have top components on a hardtail that mid level on a full. Just my preference. I rode a steel Trek 970 for several years, most of which with no suspension at all (am I dating myself?) so I'm OK with a hardtail. In my old age I'm just as happy going uphill as I am down anyway. Doing headers over my handlebars at 20 MPH just isn't as alluring as it used to be. Been there, done that, got the T shirt.

Bbq?

P-Dawg_QX said:
Best BBQ salmon I've ever had was by brushing it with olive oil, then coating it with a generous layer of pesto. Do the tin foil thing and grill to perfection. A side of herb rice and/or potatoes along with a bottle of Black Butte Porter and you've got yourself a meal of champions.

Might be the Texan in me, but that's not BBQ salmon. That's salmon on the BBQ. Sounds tasty though.

Bikes: Good topic, even though I haven't raced in 10 years I still love bikes and the sport, especially track racing. I used to be a big T-town trackie in my day. I also spent several years working in a bike shop (building/repairing/selling).

I love steel bike and my personal opinion is that bike tech and development should have stoped with Columbus SL/SLX, TSX and MAX (my all-time fav tube set). I also like "stiff" titanium and for the most part consider that steel. My personal fav steel "production bike" is the Gios (pronounced like your saying plural joe: "joes" but with more of an italian G at the start)

www.gios.it

the Compact Pro in a 52 or 53 would be perfect. If this republic thing works out I plan on picking up a frame this fall then building it "old school" with Campagnolo Neuvo Record collected from old shops and ebay.

Funny thing I like steel but spent most of my racing years on 3 Cannondales. My current road bike is a 2003 Bianchi Giro. Al frame with a carbon rear and 105/ultegra. Great looking blue color and 4.5/5 stars for a mid to high level all round racing bike. My first racing bike I got in the summer of 88 was a Cannondale I built up with Suntour Sprint components. I raced it for 2 seasons before being picked up by a team that was sponsored by Cannondale where they gave me a 3.0 crit frame that i built up with DA/ultegra. Back in thoes days c-dale were great because you could pick up a frame for 400 bucks and build it up and have a good stiff crit machine for 1000-1200 bucks. In the past 5-10 years c-dale has become so popular and the price had gone up I don't think they are worth the quality anymore. Plus this year c-dale sold out and is going to product bike outside the US. Not that that is bad from a quality standpoint just a c-dale PA state job point. The Foreign plant produce some very quality AL welded frames, all done by computer welding machines now, no wonder why.

Speaking of foreign steel, the 2005 Bianchi Pista track bike is one of the, if not the best buy out there right now. 550 bucks gets you an awsome welded steel frame with bullit proof wheels and components. even if you don't do track I'd recommend picking one up and tooling around the neighborhood, it will greatly improve you handeling and pedeling skills or it just looks beautiful hanging on the wall.

http://www.bianchiusa.com/569.html

www.bianchiusa.com

I bought one back in April and the shop I went to said they are going thru them faster than anyother track bike they have ever sold. selling about 6/week. If you do pick up a track bike remember that they have a higher bottom bracket height than a regular road bike thus you need to size one down from your normal size. I ride a 52/53 road and got a 51 and it fits perfect.

I see some of you guys are road guy looking for a mtb. If you don't want to go full mtb try a cross bike. Kona has an awsome cross bike called the Jake. The Jake the Snake cross bike is a step up and a great all round do anything bike. I have a 2005 one that bought the same time I got the track bike. Of my 4 bikes i've put the most miles this year on the cross bike. Mostly riding while on reserve in DC since I keep it in the crashpad.

I also have a 2004 Gary fisher Big Sur disk. I'm not a big fan of suspension anything and plan on replacing the Rock Shox Duke with a steel fork this fall depending on if I have $$ and a job or am furloughed.

For thoes of you interested in Trek remember that Trek, gary Fisher and lemond are all the same company now and there is alot of overlap in the product line.

For guys with some $$$ to blow and want a good all round racing road bike try

the Felt F2C

www.feltracing.com

2600 out the door gets you a high end race ready bike.

Last edited:
LowlyPropCapt said:
Here's a question... You brine your ribs too? I got my rub down cold and always pull the membrane off my ribs, but I have never brined them.

I don't brine the ribs, I think the meat is too thin and it would absord too quickly come out too salty. I just pull them out of the fridge, lay on a thin coat of mustard (the smoking removes the mustard flavor) and then lay on the rub. The mustard will hold the rub really well and helps form a 'bark'. I let them sit at room temp no longer than an hour (so the bacteria doesn't get them!) and then stick them on the smoker. Regarding the membrane, I actually tend to leave it on as I don't rub the underside and the membrane helps hold in some of the juices during the smoking. If you 'baste' your ribs, I actually use a small spray bottle so that I don't wipe the rub off when basting.

When I brined the pork shoulder for the pulled pork, it came out great, the first 1/4" was salty, but the rest was perfect, so when it's pulled, it's all mixed in. With ribs, I think the whole thing would come out excessively salty.

VampyreGTX said:
When I brined the pork shoulder for the pulled pork, it came out great, the first 1/4" was salty, but the rest was perfect, so when it's pulled, it's all mixed in. With ribs, I think the whole thing would come out excessively salty.
I have never smoked pork shoulder but would like to try... What is in your brine and how long do you soak it for? What type of wood do you typically use? I favor hickory a lot, not a big fan of mesquite... Apple and Cherry wood can be good as well...

Hoop's Rib Rub

10 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp table salt
2 Tbsp red pepper
2 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp garlic powder
.5 Tbsp black pepper

pull membrane from back of ribs, apply rub liberally (use all of it!!), let sit in fridge for 30-45 minutes to form a paste from natural juices. Put on smoker for 3 hours, then tin foil it, and let cook for another 2 hours. Steam from the tin foil breaks down connective tissues...... Meat falls off the bone! Oh yeah, make the ol' lady whip up some tater salad, cole slaw, and baked beans!

P.S. Pecan wood rules!

shamrock said:
Don't know cr@p about BBQ so I'll weigh in on another of your subjects. What kind of mountain bike do you ride? I'm on the fence about buying one. Not because I'm not sure if I want one, but because they tell me that, as an adult, I should be financially responsible and think my major purchases through.:(

I love road riding and that's where most of my money will continue to go, but I would like to pick up a mountain bike to change things up once in a while. I'm looking at the tried and true Stumpjumper even though I'd like to keep the price tag around $1000. A Stumpjumper is a little north of that, at least the model I would buy, but my price range always tends to creep higher as I go. I've also considered Gary Fisher and of course Trek.

And for the most important question, hardtail or full suspension?

Rocky Mountain Mountain Bikes. Incredible bikes made in North America. And unless you are doing mainly downhills, get a hard tail. It is the most versatile.

Heres the USA english webste http://www.bikes.com/index.aspx

Falcon Capt said:
I have never smoked pork shoulder but would like to try... What is in your brine and how long do you soak it for? What type of wood do you typically use? I favor hickory a lot, not a big fan of mesquite... Apple and Cherry wood can be good as well...

It's simply molasses, water and salt. I'll have to get the exact mix of them. (it's a lot of water, a cup or two of molasses and about 1 cup of salt.) I let it sit for about 12 hours.

Hoops... my rub is similar to that as well... I think I add some onion powder and one or two more spices. I also use light brown sugar instead of dark.

I'm trying to change it around a bit for the ribs themselves.

All-Time, number 1 BBQ secret!

My experience has been that the meat, method, rubs, secret sauces, etc. are of ABSOLUTELY NO CONSEQUENCE when it comes to good BBQ. The secret is:
It is absoultely IMPERATIVE to ensure that all parties involved with the preparation and consumption of said BBQ are just SLOPPY DRUNK by the time said BBQ is served. For my part, I prefer to smoke in a double-barrell charcoal/wood smoker. This provides outstanding flavor, but more importantly it ensures that time is available to make sure all guests have been properly saturated prior to eating.

Last edited:
Also speaking of bikes if anyone knows of a Schwinn Circuit from the mid/late 80's or early 90's in the red or black paint let me know. 19, 20, 0r 21 inch frame.

Thanks

Latest resources

Back