• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sleepy NWA pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Okay, but why didn't they answer their radio calls then?
And not just radio calls either, ACARS attempts were apparently sent as well. Perhaps, one left the flight deck, and a flight attendant replaced him....things happened that took awhile....and were distracting...and then they realized they had screwed up?

maybe this guy speaks a little slow or is awesttruck by the camera, but he sounded like he'd been drinking or maybe just some marbles in his mouth.

Let's see you talking in front of a television camera with the philological pressure those guys must be under right now and see how articulate you are going to sound.

Perhaps in the future there will be a big red button you have to press every 5 minutes like in a locomotive. If you don't press it after 5 minutes the Locomotive turns off. Although this might not be very good in a plane.

There actually IS a locomotive like that, but last I heard it's only used in one place, in Australia. They've got a line there that's 478 km long, the longest dead-straight railway line in the world. The button has to be pressed every 5 minutes (to keep the engineer awake) and the train does indeed stop is its not pushed.

And yes, I agree, most likely NOT a good idea while flying around at .80 mach..

While we're throwing out speculation, anyone know if their extended track took them near DTW? Maybe they were doing a Detroit turn later in the rotation, looked at the wrong line and entered the wrong destination during preflight. If the fms gave you the standard not enough fuel warning--"we haven't loaded the winds yet, that will change.". Miss a handoff somewhere, get distracted and bingo. Somewhere past MSP one of them picks up the rotation to talk about new scheduling policies and--hey where are we??

Probably the next most likely theory... I'd still say, though, if we were giving out percentages of likeliness - sleeping = 98%, DTW theory = 1%, all other possible scenarios = 1%.

Long layover in San Diego with a late show the next day...sounds like a recipe for a good night in the gas lamp district. I wonder what the credit card receipts from the night before would show. Any chance these are former Navy guys with some buds in the area? Also could make for a good night of drinking. I know if I don't get a good night of sleep even without drinking by the mid afternoon the next day my eyes are getting heavy.

Just say'n...could be part of what happened up there. Often, situations arise from a confluence of various factors.

Could be. If they start filing airplanes to DTW via SKETR3 arrival to MSP thence 072 heading dead reckon 150 MI direct. I could see it.

I know....I know

Before everyone starts giving me a spelling lesson. I know his name is sully.. it is just Scully sounds more like a ship captain. :p

Latest resources

Back