• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sleepy NWA pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While I agree that passing out or just not paying attention doesn't qualify for anything related to good airmanship, I'd like to see you try to stall an airbus with all systems functioning normally.

That was the point. If it was true that they were asleep, they definitely mastered the skill of deception.

It's a conspiracy. Both pilots fell asleep, when awoken by the FA, they had 50 minutes to landing. CVR only records last 30. Capt and FO concoct the story about the heated discussion, knowing only the last 30 minutes would be heard. Both pilots agreeing to take it to the grave, knowing that if they were caught sleeping they would be terminated. A PA was made to the cabin within the 30 minute CVR recording to back up the story. They would land, ASAP it and continue flying to age 65.

My guess, someone will give into the pressure and tell the truth. Knowing that lying to Federal Investigators will send them to prison.

Not necessarily true. The NTSB mandated 3 or 4 years ago that all airplanes have 2 hour recorders in them. The have given the airlines a several year time frame to convert all the recorders to 2 hour. Usually companies are doing this when the planes go in for extended maintanence. Pilots would have no idea which planes have the old 30 min tapes or the 2 hour tapes.

General, I have to say that of all the things you have posted in flightinfo, your responses in this thread have been the most ridiculous ever. Airmanship is not only keeping the airplane right side up or going in a straight line, it is also about the decisions made while you are at the controls of the aircraft. So with your logic we can say the A/P showed great airmanship during the last 250 NM of this flight. uba757

I wonder if they could have miss-programmed the route? If they put in a jetway or destination beyond their intended destination and then assumed they were right they would have just kept going. Still doesn't explain not talking to anyone. If I haven't talked to ATC in 5 minutes I start wondering if I missed a frequency change. An hour is a long time to have silence.

I wonder if they could have miss-programmed the route? If they put in a jetway or destination beyond their intended destination and then assumed they were right they would have just kept going. Still doesn't explain not talking to anyone. If I haven't talked to ATC in 5 minutes I start wondering if I missed a frequency change. An hour is a long time to have silence.

Doesn't even come close to an adequate explanation... The radio silence plus their straight path for the last hour right overhead MSP to central Wisconsin make it glaringly obvious.

My only question is, in a court of law you need the proof to get the conviction. If the police have tampered with the crime scene, for example, or forget to read the guy his rights, then he gets off... no matter how obvious it is to everyone that he's guilty. I think that's what may happen to these pilots if they stick to their story and there's no smoking gun on the CVR.

But, are they really going to be better off admitting to the heated discussion leading to an hour of lost situational awareness than they would have been if they'd just admitted they were sleeping? That I don't know.

Not necessarily true. The NTSB mandated 3 or 4 years ago that all airplanes have 2 hour recorders in them. The have given the airlines a several year time frame to convert all the recorders to 2 hour. Usually companies are doing this when the planes go in for extended maintanence. Pilots would have no idea which planes have the old 30 min tapes or the 2 hour tapes.
News is reporting that this particular a/c had the older 30-minutes-only CVR.

Are there really idiots out there that think airline pilots are the BEST pilots in the world. Thats hilarious. They're responsible for all the airline crashes we've had over the years, 85% from pilot error.

You would think the unions would have fixed this fatigue issue long ago, but they can really care less either.

Actually, there are more corporate airframes lost per year than major airline airframes.

Latest resources

Back