• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

sleep aids

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've tried them all and like any drugs you build a tolerance and they become less effective if you use them regularly.

I can takr two melatonin and get little effect or rest.
Ambian/ Ambian CR and Lunesta work pretty good but they can kick your ass the next day so make sure you've got some time to recover.

My personal favorite is called Hydrozine. Its muscle relaxant and it works really well for aid sleep without leaving you groggy when you wake.

I all of my time flying in +8 or better time zones every 14 days or so. It does help to have something when you get home to help you regulate.

Good Luck
Bman

I can takr two melatonin and get little effect or rest.
Ambian/ Ambian CR and Lunesta work pretty good but they can kick your ass the next day so make sure you've got some time to recover.

I have taken those when I get home with no ill effects.

On the road .... just watch CNN international or SKY news. Once you have seen the same clip 15 times you will off to dream land ...

melatonin...great sleep, never groggy, or hungover.

I have to agree with the Melatonin, I actually have clinical insomnia. As soon as my head hits the pillow, it's thinkin' time. I used to try stuff like drinking, tylenol P.M., a mixture of the two..........but I would always wake up for various reasons, and feel like $hit in the morning.

Someone told me about melatonin, and I argued that nothing would work for me. No $hit, that very night I took the first one, the first sensation was one of relaxation, the next was an overwhelming feeling of calmness, meaning I wasn't over-anylizing things in my head like I normally would.

I've been taking it for two weeks now when I need it and I wake up the next moring feeling great. Mix it with a few beers on a long lay-over and you can solve the world problems in your sleep, i.e. I can fully agree with the vividness of the dreams.

Wikipedia told me that Melatonin helps to regulate your Circadian rythm.

Try it out, let us know.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I tend to avoid prescription meds. If you want to try something herbal, I use Valerian root. Go to any natural health food store to find it. Zero side effects and no hangover. Takes about an hour to take effect. This is also good for those of you who are "white coat" hypertensive. And best of all, you don't have to report it to the FAA. It has been a wonder herb for me. Speak with whoever is working there about dosage. But you will likely have to start small and work your way up to the dosage that works for you. Be prepared...it smells awful. Just hold your breath till it's swallowed.

I take 1 Tylenol PM, or two if I just ate dinner. Thats all it takes to push me over the edge into uninterrupted sleep if I have an early report. I always wake up rested, never groggy.

I second the Tylenol PM, one does it for me...washed down with several good brews.

As a pilot, I should not be surprised that the lowest common denominator in this thread is....ALCOHOL!

At least it's not just me self-medicating! I don't know why, but it seems a glass or two of a good red wine seems to allow me to sleep best.

Maybe some day I will try something that is intended to be a sleep aid vs. something that god put on this earth to make me a good dancer, irresistable and super smart!

Latest resources

Back