• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

sleep aids

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i talked to my Doc about some of the OTC sleep aids. He said dont bother, just buy some generic Benadryl. The ingerdiants in the sleep aids are the same as Benadryl. I think half of it is a placebo effect, thinking that you took something, so you MUST be tired now.

i talked to my Doc about some of the OTC sleep aids. He said dont bother, just buy some generic Benadryl. The ingerdiants in the sleep aids are the same as Benadryl. I think half of it is a placebo effect, thinking that you took something, so you MUST be tired now.

Second that...got the same advice from a pharmacist.

The ingerdiants in the sleep aids are the same as Benadryl.

That's correct for the "PM" analgesics (e.g., Tylenol PM). The active sleep ingredient is diphenhydramine, which is also the active ingredient in [SIZE=-1]Benadryl[/SIZE].

I second the Tylenol PM, one does it for me...washed down with several good brews.

DANGER!!!

Acetaminophen (active ingredient in Tylenol) and alcohol is DEADLY.

Before, during or after (hangover) alcohol consumption.

It will build up to a toxic level and shut your liver down.

Yes, alcohol is not a good sleep aid. And acetameniphen (sp?) is not good for your liver. The cure shouldn't be worse than the disease.

..be careful, a lot of other meds. contain acetaminophen BESIDES Tylenol.

For instance, PERCOCET, VICODIN, OXYCONTIN, HYCODANE, etc. - things commonly prescirbed for dental work or pain relief.

Even a low dose of this combined with alcohol has proven deadly.

I have taken those when I get home with no ill effects.

On the road .... just watch CNN international or SKY news. Once you have seen the same clip 15 times you will off to dream land ...
Over the counter melatonin is the way to go. A few years ago, we had a NASA sleep scientist talk to us about recovering from jet lag and that is what he recommended. Start slowly and work up until you find the right amount for you. Too much and you'll get some pretty vivid dreams.

LS

Every human body reacts differently to different compounds. You'll have to experiment (preferably at home on your days off) to find out which works best for you.

Wow, luckily ear plugs and anything to make the room black works for me, don't like to use the drugs, now as far as when I am drowsy, I received a great recommendation, Red Bull. Leaving the west coast in my car for Las Vegas, was real drowsy almost immediately, stopped off for a Red Bull, in about 20 minutes all symptoms went away without any jitters or other strange side effects.

Latest resources

Back