• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SLC Controllers and everyone else in the system

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I went into there a couple weeks ago and the captain I was flying with said the same thing. They act like they are controlling NY or Washington DC airspace over there.

Could someone please explain, why the SLC controllers both approach and center but mainly approach seem to be one of the most retarded bunch out there. Come on SLC isn't even that busy. Someone shed some light please.

My favorite is a flight that takes 1 hour 36 minutes and a taxi that takes 27 minutes. No joke and this is not just one occurrence, we are 3 for 3 of landing 34 right and taxiing all the way to the east side. This followed by a 22 minute delay for departure with both engines running. Total waist of fuel for just one of the days was about 1500 lbs, or about $1600.00. Very sad when they have a nice general aviation runway that dumps you right off into Million air

This happens ALL the time when we fly into SLC

AND even though we request 35 sometimes the controllers just say we are not going to give it to you.

That taxi time is no exaggeration.

IN all fairness, I'm really just pissed because I want out of the airplane.

It is however a big waste of money.

And if you give a crap oil/ carbon etc.

Cheers

I'd say that 9/10 times, our taxi in SLC is 5 minutes or less (and in the Bro we are in and out of SLC every other leg). It's just if you hit it during the Delta rush, expect some delays. It seems like landing South and then having to taxi over to the E gates from Rwy 17 is the worst combo--I think we waited for 20-30 minutes once just to cross 16L.

But I've waited just as long in LAX and SFO.

-Goose

As a Boston Center controller, thanks for all of the compliments...we are fantastic LOL :)

As for crappy controllers, they are everywhere. Part of the problem, which is going to get worse over the next few years, is the number of trainees working traffic. There are days where almost every scope has a trainee in front of it. And just wait until you are flying and every controller you talk to has been on the job for less than 3 years and no one has any experience....Friday and Saturday nights will likely be the worst since the senior guys have these shifts off.

Yesterday I was training. I've been a controller for 3.5 years, my trainee has been here for 1.5 years, and my D side for 1 year. So a combined total of 6 years of experience. Meanwhile, the next sector down had two guys with 15+ years each. Fun fun fun.

BOS center: No problems
BOS approach: They have no idea how to vector you to ILS 4R below the glide. 6 times out of 10 you'll be cleared for the approach after a late turn to final above the GS. They do fine on 27 and 22L, but 4R is kicking their ass for some reason.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back