Slam Dunk In Florida...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flechas said:
Once in a while is not big deal, if it were to happen everyday then I'dn't accept it. For the most part controllers start you down way out.
That's what the boards are for, to be used, I don't understand why so many people are afraid of using them.

Afraid to use them? Not quite. There shouldn't be a need to. IF it's a once in a while thing for extenuating circumstances...ok, fine. But, in certain areas, it's SOP, or it's just for no reason other than they give you the restriction late.

I can be going downhill at 3,000-4,000fpm without using the boards(as long as they don't want me going slow)...with a reasonable pitch attitude. If it comes to the point that I need to use the boards, somebody screwed the pooch.

Hopefully someday you'll realize that making a smooth transition when beginning/ending a climb or descent is pretty much the same as avoiding using the boards unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. I rarely use the boards...plan ahead and you don't need to. If given an outrageous restriction.....well, the word UNABLE comes to mind. :D

FracCapt said:
Hopefully someday you'll realize that making a smooth transition when beginning/ending a climb or descent is pretty much the same as avoiding using the boards unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. I rarely use the boards...plan ahead and you don't need to. If given an outrageous restriction.....well, the word UNABLE comes to mind. :D

Why is it the same, doesn't feel the same in the back.
As far as using unable, the problem is that most likely the next thing that comes out of the controllers mouth is "turn 30 degrees right for vectors".

I have gotten that restriction to - I dont remember it being quite as bad as reported here, but, "Unable" is fine with me. I have also gotten unrealistic descent requests from Chicago westbound into UGN.

The other day I was going into Peoria and Chicago kept me up high - I was @ FL220 35 miles out with the airport in sight. Pretty simple solution - slow down and ask for lower. I got switched to PIA appr and @ FL215 was cleared for the visual (never gotten that before so high).
No boards needed - just proper planning.

Flechas said:
As far as using unable, the problem is that most likely the next thing that comes out of the controllers mouth is "turn 30 degrees right for vectors".

Big deal. Spend another minute or two in the air because of the vectors. If enough people do that, they'll learn. If people always accept the restrictions, and come sailing down at 6,000fpm, they'll always give it to you. You've already made your choice, because apparently you think that using the speedbrakes is fun and breaks up the monotony. I've made my choice because I've been doing this for too many years to do stupid sh!t like that.

Capthuff said:
I have gotten that restriction to - I dont remember it being quite as bad as reported here, but, "Unable" is fine with me. I have also gotten unrealistic descent requests from Chicago westbound into UGN.

The other day I was going into Peoria and Chicago kept me up high - I was @ FL220 35 miles out with the airport in sight. Pretty simple solution - slow down and ask for lower. I got switched to PIA appr and @ FL215 was cleared for the visual (never gotten that before so high).
No boards needed - just proper planning.

If you fly that route often, you may make a phone call and ask the best way to avoid the arrival corridor. I recently flew with a captain who stopped our climb at a certain altitude to avoid this very scenerio. I wish I could remember the specifics.

Exactly F()ck them.. I've never had use the boards in 9000+ hrs except for a medical emergency. I don''t accept them and I don't slow down to help the descent rate. It seems Jax,Orl and TPA atc has issues on sectors accepting aircraft at certain altitudes. I'm not going to make my pax's uncomfortable for atc problems.
FracCapt said:
Big deal. Spend another minute or two in the air because of the vectors. If enough people do that, they'll learn. If people always accept the restrictions, and come sailing down at 6,000fpm, they'll always give it to you. You've already made your choice, because apparently you think that using the speedbrakes is fun and breaks up the monotony. I've made my choice because I've been doing this for too many years to do stupid sh!t like that.

I think it has to do with the comm. between the center sectors/tracon. We always get BLOND int @ 10000 when coming in over the Gulf on Q100. BLOND is 22 miles from PIE. Just plan to be slow @ BLOND to make it into PIE without the boards.

FracCapt said:

Dude, you don't have to get mad. I never said I'd accept a 6000 fpm descent, 4500 is the most I ca do with the bpards open, and 3500 without them.
Most of the time we have very little time between turns, and for the most part, vectors (in IAH) means they have to stack you back in the line, especially if there's weather around (today I didn't take a heading because of wx and sure enough, was 20 minutes late).
So that's why I rather open the boards than take a vector, maybe not a big deal for corporate guys.

Latest resources

Back