SkyWest's latest rumors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What I know....

This is the latest... as I know it. They are running a couple of classes for the rj for the rest of the year, both upgrade and transition. This is in part due to tucson opening as a base in oct/nov. They are not running any new hire or upgrade classes for the emb for the rest of the year. The master plan as I heard it is to "soak" up the excess of pilots we have now.... we have have a huge number of jet reserves currently, and I'm sure it's costing the company to pay them all to sit on their a$$. I'm guessing they'll run an emb class sooner than later, however.

I wouldn't jump out of the pool yet. With all the jet's we're getting, things will pick up again soon. This slowdown is due mostly to the Bombardier strike, and slowdown in our rj deliveries. Keep the faith brutha's.... -sr.

There is a rumor that SkyWest may finish interviewing those that attended the job fair and passed the writtens at the end of August/begining of September. Any truth to this? If hired, I know class would be the middle of 2003 at the earliest.

This second part is questions on the slow down of training at SkyWest. Why is SkyWest not hiring or training like Comair, ACA, etc.? The CRJ delivery problems should affect all the airlines with CRJ orders. Could the slowdown be because of the uncertainty of United? Or with United? The lack of a rate agreement with United? Is United shopping elsewhere? I remember reading the rumor about Mesa and United a month or so ago. The SKYW stock is down a bit for posting 2nd qtr profit, too. I make no claims to be an expert, quite the opposite. It just seems there has to be more to the story. These are just questions, I have no facts. Just questions that make me go hmmm....

Fly safe and good luck to everyone.

Here is another point of view. You are right about the great news of the 2nd qtr. SkyWest has 350 mil. in cash in a bank and 120 mil. in Canada at Bambardier for down payments this does equal about 1/2 bil. in cash that SkyWest can dip into if it needs. Now that being said here is whats going on from what I have herd. Right now we are about 70 FO's fat in the jet Jerry Atkin(Pres.) would have loved to furlough those 70 but he wouldn't because 1 it would cost to much to retrain them back in the EMB and 2 SkyWest doesn't treat there employees this way. So Jerry decided to keep them on reserve and pay them the 75 hours a month. That being said the future is bright. We have 15 CRJs coming online by Dec 31. most will be going to United system. Infact we have 8 or 9 new routes and/or more service starting in 10/1 out of DEN. For the year '03 we have 35 CRJs coming. I believe around 27 will be United. We will be down to around 65 EMB by the end of '03. So the 50CRJs will not all be growth but some will be replacing EMBs. The future does look bright. Some of the future will depend if United will receive the $ from the goverment or not. Delta also would like to completly pull out of Montana and let the RJ do it. Some are already shareing a route with a 737 but Delta wants to use that 73 else where. About a new hire class??? my guess is one more for the end of the year. and will be around 20. The interviewing, My guess is that they will wait till late Oct. or Nov. and see how many are still real interested. A weeding out process by using time. Any ways great company to work for, great pilots, good looking FA and awsome mechanics.

I'm not sure waiting 12+ months for a class date makes you a better candidate than others who are going somewhere else that is hiring and getting seniority numbers faster. Don't get me wrong Skywest is a great company, but some people are getting a bum deal waiting so long after the interview.

test

There is no way that they will have interviewed everyone that passed the tests in the openhouses by Sept. I including about six others that attended and passed, have not been interviewed yet. The test just wasn't hard and 100's of people, mostly furoghed from other airlines were there. They are a great company, but I wouldn't expect a call from them until next year! Good luck.

There is an article in Business Week that says United may file for bankruptcy as early as December. That can't be good for SkyWest. And what about the rumor that Comair will be moving in to SLC. Don't know if that's true, but the rumor has been floating for awhile. There is definitely something else going on besides deferred CRJ defliveries, but nobody seems to be saying what it is.

Speaking of rumors... is the whole Skywest/Tucson thing simply that? A rumor, or is there any truth to it? If so, any idea of the route structure out of TUS... just DFW, SLC, and LAX, or possibly some new ones?

Latest resources

Back