Skywest Union Busting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ReportCanoa said:
Question: Will you be singing the same tune when you're flying a 95 seat airplane for the same paycheck? Or doesn't it matter because of the cool factor.

Same paycheck? Well the seating configuration will be that of a 70 seater. Also if you pulled you head out of your arse and looked around at the rest of the industry you will find...
SWA...flies different types of 737...same pay
Continental, Captain on 777 and 767, make same amount...over 100 seat diff.
UAL...A319/A320 different # of seats, same pay
UAL...757/767 different seats, same pay

Keep drinking the ALPA kool-aid that you deserve more for flying the same type.

atrdriver said:
Yes, it probably does at this time. But I ask again, what is to stop Jerry from walking into his office tomorrow and announcing a 15% paycut across the board? Nothing. At least when it is a true contract with union backing there is a mechanism in place to prevent things like that.

A union in place to prevent that???

hmmm, TWA, United, Delta...lots of ALPA backing there.

Seems to me everytime a company wants to do something to a pilot group ALPA takes a step back and says it's out of our hands.

By the way, have you heard of TSA and G0Jet??? ALPA did a great job backing them. ALPA couldn't even prove that they were operating as a single carrier.

Good Luck to you, and God Bless wonderful ALPA.

www. said:
Yeah right! Your boy Jerry even said he can change the rules at any time he wants.

I understand that there are some talks about Skywest pilots taking a pay cut to fly the 50 seat aircraft?

I was sittting in the crew lounge in ATL and heard JA say that the SW 50 rates were too high. It came right out of his mouth. The SW pilots need to realize that they're next.

:rolleyes:Ah Big...Look at what you are comparing! SWA=Highest paid 73 operator in the world.
Continental...took concessions to help the company, even in good times the pay for the two was about 10-12 dollars an hour difference..I think!

UAL...just got out of BK, not even a reasonable comparison. Skywst/ASA are not in bk, we are MAKING MONEY!! BIG DIFFERENCE!

Yeah, your "agreement" with JA will keep you in the top pay bracket! Whether you see it or not, YOU ARE NEXT!! I am not saying that ALPA is the "end all" but without them JA can change your terms without asking you. NOT the same for us...WE HAVE A SAY IN WHAT TAKES PLACE!! Good Luck with that "head in the sand" thing you have going on though!:rolleyes:

Hey Lebowski -- how about editing the A?C Flown line in your profile and put all those types on 3 or 4 lines. Your posts would be much easier to read.

Thanks.

surplus1 said:
Hey Lebowski -- how about editing the A?C Flown line in your profile and put all those types on 3 or 4 lines. Your posts would be much easier to read.

Thanks.

C'mon now. Aren't you proud of all those different single aircraft you used to fly? You can always tell who was CFI'ing up til a few months ago. Plus with all those different types of Cessna and Piper singles he's flown you know he's got this airline and union stuff all figured out. Wish I knew that much when I had 2000 hours but I was still flying boxes in a Chieftain.

Last edited:
Dave Benjamin said:
C'mon now. Aren't you proud of all those different single aircraft you used to fly? You can always tell who was CFI'ing up til a few months ago. Plus with all those different types of Cessna and Piper singles he's flown you know he's got this airline and union stuff all figured out. Wish I knew that much when I had 2000 hours but I was still flying boxes in a Chieftain.
Aww Dave, now you went and made ME feel bad.

And I thought us arty guys stuck together. Can you still recite the mission of The Field Artillery? No Googling!!:smash:

Sorry for the thread-jack. Its late. Can't sleep.

joe_pilot said:
And I thought us arty guys stuck together. Can you still recite the mission of The Field Artillery? No Googling!!:smash:

The only mission I can recall was sampling as many German beers as possible and meeting girls. Was there some other reason we were over there? Oh yeah. We kept Europe safe for democracy and prevented the Russkies from invading. I can still remember all the hypothetical scenarios about how many Russian tank divisions would be rolling down which highways, Spetznatz dropping in on our Pershing sites and probably killing all of us, and the real raison d 'etre was us being cannon fodder to hold off the bad guys until reinforcements from CONUS arrived. Great times. I would have reupped if my CO would have let me go work at the MARS station. Remember those?

www. said:
Yeah right! Your boy Jerry even said he can change the rules at any time he wants.

I understand that there are some talks about Skywest pilots taking a pay cut to fly the 50 seat aircraft?

Wow and any union carrier can and will blackmail the pilots into paycuts. Look at all the majors bending over and they all have unions. At least if Skywest paycuts were imposed, it would be quick and painless without the dog and pony show of a "vote". BTW, if Jerry is smart and wants to keep the union out, he would not cut Skywest pilot pay so I don't really think it's that cut and dry that Skywest "will be next". Who knows though....I don't trust anyone in airline management.

Latest resources

Back