Skywest Union Busting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pogue Mahone said:
Call the SkyWest pilots in recureent last week in SLC. Ask what was said to them.

Also how 'bout we post the meo from your Student Council regarding pay negotiations at SKYW.

I guess you must be pretty new to aviation. If I believed every rumor I heard in a recurrent class I'd either be unemployed because the company went out of business due to overpaid pilots or I'd be flying a 777.

BigLebowski said:
Doesn't make me feel better at all that we make more. But don't say that we're busting up your union or undercutting you when our compensation exceeds yours.
Question: Will you be singing the same tune when you're flying a 95 seat airplane for the same paycheck? Or doesn't it matter because of the cool factor.

Dave Benjamin said:
I guess you must be pretty new to aviation. If I believed every rumor I heard in a recurrent class I'd either be unemployed because the company went out of business due to overpaid pilots or I'd be flying a 777.
Come on now Dave. I never said it was true. I am just repeating that it was said.

Just another indication that it is all a multi-faceted game that managemnt likes to play with us.

The fact that your student council is firing up their little propoganda printing press is a further indication that the games are likely to begin on your side of the fence as well.

BTW this is a little blurb from "the update":

Fellow SkyWest Pilots,
During our May meeting in Colorado Springs, I reported to your
Representatives that there has been no recent progress in pay negotiations.
When we last attempted to discuss pay with Brad Holt, he let us know that the company will not consider pay proposals at this time. Accordingly, it is the consensus of your Representatives that we inform you that we are shifting our focus from pay negotiations, to working toward quality-of-life improvements.
The reason given is the need to keep SkyWest’s costs low, so we can remain competitive to attract new flying and retain the contracts we have with Delta and United.
Ron Reber or Brad Holt may release a statement explaining their cost concerns. SAPA will offer further comment, after that statement isreleased.

I am just dying to hear what Brad and Ron cost concerns are. This oughta be hoot.

Pogue,

The other thing you forget is that there's a union drive going on. You'll always hear a bunch of BS rhetoric during a drive. The best one was that the company might just shut down because managment wouldn't want to deal with ALPA. Yeah there gonna park a few hundred aircraft and walk away. Right.

Dave Benjamin said:
I guess you must be pretty new to aviation.

I think I got turned down for my first commuter job in '88 or '89. So I am still pretty new to the whole thing.

Dave Benjamin said:
Pogue,

The other thing you forget is that there's a union drive going on. You'll always hear a bunch of BS rhetoric during a drive. The best one was that the company might just shut down because managment wouldn't want to deal with ALPA. Yeah there gonna park a few hundred aircraft and walk away. Right.

That one was pretty saucy. Jerry's gonna shut down a couple billion in revenues so he doesn't have to deal with ALPA. That's priceless.

Fear and Dissention. That's the name of the game.

Pogue Mahone said:
I am just dying to hear what Brad and Ron cost concerns are. This oughta be hoot.

Let me save you the suspense. It will be something along the lines of "we can't afford to give you raise. In fact you're lucky we're not cutting pay to stay competetive with ASA."

It's all a game. Management gets paid to contain costs and mazimize profits which they've done a great job of.

I don't put much stock in memos. I listen to what's being said to Wall Street. If you lie to investors you can go to jail. There is no penalty that I know of for exaggerating or embellishing statements made to employees.

As long as sizable profits are being declared, dividends paid, and revenues increasing there is no reason for worry. Both DAL and UAL contracts are long term and in the case of DAL the judge has already signed off on it.

BigLebowski said:
You're right we dont' have a "contract"...but our agreement with management proves to be much more effective than you ALPA contract.

By the way in case you can't tell...I hate unions, they don't do anything besides take your money and lose lawsuits.

Yes, it probably does at this time. But I ask again, what is to stop Jerry from walking into his office tomorrow and announcing a 15% paycut across the board? Nothing. At least when it is a true contract with union backing there is a mechanism in place to prevent things like that.

Dave Benjamin said:
Let me save you the suspense. It will be something along the lines of "we can't afford to give you raise. In fact you're lucky we're not cutting pay to stay competetive with ASA."

It's all a game. Management gets paid to contain costs and mazimize profits which they've done a great job of.

I don't put much stock in memos. I listen to what's being said to Wall Street. If you lie to investors you can go to jail. There is no penalty that I know of for exaggerating or embellishing statements made to employees.

As long as sizable profits are being declared, dividends paid, and revenues increasing there is no reason for worry. Both DAL and UAL contracts are long term and in the case of DAL the judge has already signed off on it.

I never ceases to amaze me the number of pilots I speak to that have never read an 8k or 10k filing.

You ask them if the do any research on EDGAR and they get that deer in the headlights look.

"yeah but I heard in the crew lounge"

LOL

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back