• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest to Unionize?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who is more corrupt? ALPA or Management?

ALPA taking 2% isn't too bad.

Management has taken a lot more than 2%.

The UPA in house drive failed IMO because of that dum-as$ letter that someones wife sent out in the last month before the vote. Turned off a lot of fencers.

Never said everything was fine. But the thought of going through 4+ years of contract talks with no raises durring that time, to only get a small raise anyway, is not to exciting... Like i said. "been there, done that". Could they "share the bank".. Sure!!! But im not ready to let some of these "pro ALPA SkyWest pilots" run the show with the company. That would be a bad idea..

O.K.....so what to do, continue the "Chip away" slide?

You would think that the loss of health insurance, more pilots fired than any other airline, and more scrutiny from the FAA than any other airline would be enough to convince the pilot group at SkyWest that a union, any union would be necessary. Nope. The ONLY way there will ever be a union at SkyWest Airlines is if we merge our seniority list with another that is already union.

Sadly, I think you might be right...:eek:

1)- "Why vote a union in anyway? You get everything we negotiate and you don't have to pay dues."

2)- "The UPA in house drive failed IMO because of that dum-as$ letter that someones wife sent out in the last month before the vote. Turned off a lot of fencers."

1) Were Atlantic Southeast's 2007 ALPA contract more or less matched by SkyWest?

2) What was this letter? What did it say? Who's wife? Details!

I would LOVE to proven wrong. But after going through 3 failed drives my faith in the SkyWest pilot group to do the right thing and get a legally binding contract is GONE. I am consistently impressed with the caliber of pilots I fly with when it comes to ability, personality and professionalism (must be due to that class ;) ). But you will not find a more naive pilot group anywhere. Lack of understanding of how unions work as well as the history of the airline business is astounding. I fly with so many pilots that think SkyWest operates in it's own little universe and what goes on in the rest of the industry has no effect on us or that nothing bad will ever happen to us (though I think that opinion is not as common since our growth has slowed). I would like to think that this line of thinking will change, but I'm not holding my breath.

1)- "Why vote a union in anyway? You get everything we negotiate and you don't have to pay dues."

2)- "The UPA in house drive failed IMO because of that dum-as$ letter that someones wife sent out in the last month before the vote. Turned off a lot of fencers."

1) Were Atlantic Southeast's 2007 ALPA contract more or less matched by SkyWest?

2) What was this letter? What did it say? Who's wife? Details!

"Less" matched.

Bring any other union in and it will succeed, alpa will get laughed of property again. Just keep in mind a lot of pilots at skw once were alpa, union yes, alpa dont even try it. i will however take some free Heidies.

I'm in. Anybody but ALPO.
A combined ASA and SkyWest pilot group could be very powerful. It could be the start of a seperate Regional union, which isvery much needed. ALPO cannot represent both the legacies and the regionals, it's a conflict of intrest.

Where's Rez and his ALPO pom-poms to chime in?

I would LOVE to proven wrong. But after going through 3 failed drives my faith in the SkyWest pilot group to do the right thing and get a legally binding contract is GONE. I am consistently impressed with the caliber of pilots I fly with when it comes to ability, personality and professionalism (must be due to that class ;) ). But you will not find a more naive pilot group anywhere. Lack of understanding of how unions work as well as the history of the airline business is astounding. I fly with so many pilots that think SkyWest operates in it's own little universe and what goes on in the rest of the industry has no effect on us or that nothing bad will ever happen to us (though I think that opinion is not as common since our growth has slowed). I would like to think that this line of thinking will change, but I'm not holding my breath.

Times are different and so is SkyWest, I think the tide is changing.

That being said, I believe many feel it is not worth ALPO. There is no trust with ALPO, as their primary concern is for the legacy types.

Latest resources

Back