• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest to charge for PC's?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah ok, read some of the above posts regarding union airlines having to do the same thing.

How long do you think that will last? It is bad precedent for a union to allow this to continue. Sure, now it's just non-citizens. What if TSA or the FAA decides every pilot needs an annual background check? If this present charge is not contested and defeated, then the precedent is set. If a future charge is imposed and DAL ALPA or some other airline contests it then, an arbitrator would look at past precedent as a guide and the odds of a union winning the arbitration would be diminished.

This isn't simply about background checks either. It is the entire principle of airline management passing down costs directly to pilots. What next, sim time for PC checks? Fuel surcharge for overweight Captains? It's bad precedent and needs to be stopped cold. A unionized pilot group has a much better shot at stopping it than a non-unionized pilot group.

How long do you think that will last? It is bad precedent for a union to allow this to continue. Sure, now it's just non-citizens. What if TSA or the FAA decides every pilot needs an annual background check? If this present charge is not contested and defeated, then the precedent is set. If a future charge is imposed and DAL ALPA or some other airline contests it then, an arbitrator would look at past precedent as a guide and the odds of a union winning the arbitration would be diminished.

This isn't simply about background checks either. It is the entire principle of airline management passing down costs directly to pilots. What next, sim time for PC checks? Fuel surcharge for overweight Captains? It's bad precedent and needs to be stopped cold. A unionized pilot group has a much better shot at stopping it than a non-unionized pilot group.

I agree with you, I was just pointing out the idiotic statement, connecting non-union and fee, the guy above me posted...

You are flat out wrong! If you are a union pilot, biatch slap yourself, if you are a non-union pilot, biatch slap yourself. If it is not detailed in the contract(CBA), or language that covers it, you get to pay for it. Plain and simple. Reality suks!
PBR

Personally I'd love to bitch slap the idiot that came up with this asinine rule.

A few pilots at AWAC filed a grievance about this or the $150 fingerprint fee to upgrade, can't remember which and it was denied. There's not much else you can do.

I was just pointing out the idiotic statement

Idiotic statement?

Perhaps I should have said "This is what happens when your company doesn't have a union, or has an ineffective union with an apathetic membership."

The cost of doing business must not be passed on to crewmembers.

An FAA medical is a cost of doing business...How many carriers pay for that?

An FAA medical is a requirement to have as a pre-requisite for any airline interview, along with a Commercial certificate (how many airlines pay for that?) it is the employee's job to maintain their qualification's they were hired with. I dont know of any airline that charges for its original background check once you are hired, I dont know of any airline that makes one pay for the fee's associated with the background check for SIDA badges.

The FAA medical fee does not discriminate between non-US citizens and US citizens. Everyone has to do it.

To the contrary the TSA fee for PCs is very discriminatory and targets only non-US citizens. Again, this is in violation of Employment Law.

Again, IMHO all pilots should get a background check at every PC event if the TSA wants to enforce the fee. There is no guarantee that a US citizen is less "risky" than a non-US citizen, examples:....Fort Hood, OKC city ect....

Latest resources

Back