• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest to buy Mesa and ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understood the incentive for skywest to try to buy expressjet the first time around because they wanted a foot in the door for the continental flying. I don't see why skywest would still be looking to buy expressjet out now that the UA/CO merger has been announced.

Am I missing something here?

Yes, it does make sense. Skywest has the monopoly on the UAL flying and would like to keep it that way. Skywest may be worried that ExpressJet can widdle take away some of that flying. It's the same reason Skywest bought ASA. ASA was definitely going to be sold to someone and Skywest might of been worried that whoever bought ASA may beable to encroach of Skywest flying. Skywest, Inc doesn't believe that scope will change to the disavantage of the regionals no matter what the mainline pilots say. Yes, the 50 seaters will be history but Skywest, Inc believes there is plenty of flying to come in the 70 and 90 seater range and maybe even bigger seaters.

I believe that after the merger XJT will be the largest regional carrier for UAL, read somewhere that it would be 40% of regional feed. So for Skywest to acquire XJT makes sense to keep them as the dominant UAL regional.

SkyWest Inc wil buy ExpressJet and merge them with ASA.

SkyWest airlines will buy Mesas aircraft, bring over many of their pilots, some will be brought on as captains but will be at the bottomof the list.

Seems to me that SKW is desperate to buy. Only merged seniority wiil accomplish that. Havent they learn that at SKW? They failed to purchase 5 times so far as assets sale.

BTW all United Express flying will be flown by ALPA regionals after they merge, and all ALPA majors will be hiring ALPA members.

So SKW super pilots enjoy what you got now. Your management knows that

Some of those planes are already at the Skywest hangar in SLC and a couple are already online with Mesa registry still on them.
Online? Ummm...no. Believe me, we could use a few airplanes right about now...

While N593ML has a history with Mesa, it was dug out of the desert and put online many months ago.

BTW all United Express flying will be flown by ALPA regionals after they merge, and all ALPA majors will be hiring ALPA members.

So SKW super pilots enjoy what you got now. Your management knows that

That dog won't hunt. How much do you expect to trade for that? My bet is nothing. There are programs being put in place to hopefully remove the whipsaw at the regional level. Could it evolve into more? That remains to be seen but as far as hiring only ALPA, I don't see that one having any legs for a long time.

That dog won't hunt. How much do you expect to trade for that? My bet is nothing. There are programs being put in place to hopefully remove the whipsaw at the regional level. Could it evolve into more? That remains to be seen but as far as hiring only ALPA, I don't see that one having any legs for a long time.

Time will tell, I think it will happen.

Lets hope the cockpit free ride does not go from ALPA to ALPA only.....

I see that happening as well. In the early 90s it was happening.

You heard it here first folks. Skywest to buy Mesa in the next few weeks and to try and buy ExpressJet again.

Holy ******************** I better get my resume to Skywest pronto!!! LMAO

Time will tell, I think it will happen.

Lets hope the cockpit free ride does not go from ALPA to ALPA only.....

I see that happening as well. In the early 90s it was happening.

Sure, start a Jump Seat War, that would be great, since mailine flies mostly international.

And in the early 90s, it wasn't happening, I was there.

ALPA, sucks!

Sure, start a Jump Seat War, that would be great, since mailine flies mostly international.

And in the early 90s, it wasn't happening, I was there.

ALPA, sucks!

I was there too. Many captains were asking for the alpa membership card,

Now go back to your little airline SKW and get on your knees for $100 per hr after 20 years flying a dc9-10.

NO JOBS, NO FREE RIDE, IS COMING MR CFIT

Latest resources

Back