Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest takes profits from Pilots hardwork and buys airline in Brazil.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rez O. Lewshun

Save the Profession
Wow..... once that money goes overseas... it ain't ever coming back.... Skywest a transnational airline? What a pandora's box. Brazilian pilots slowly taking Skywest pilots' rightful flying....

or

Skywest loses big in Brazil and cuts US pilot jobs to save its core business.....

Looks like rejecting ALPA was a great move....... for Jerry.

SkyWest buying stake in Brazil airline
Thursday September 4, 12:24 pm ET
By Alan Clendenning, AP Business Writer US-based SkyWest buying 20 percent stake in Brazil's regional Trip carrier

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) -- U.S.-based SkyWest Airlines will buy a 20 percent stake in Brazilian regional carrier Trip, seeking a foothold in the South American nation's rapidly expanding passenger air travel market, the two companies said Thursday.
SkyWest Inc., based in Utah, will pay US$30 million over a two-year period to obtain the stake. Trip describes the deal as the last step in an effort to raise US$150 million that will be pumped into its operations.

"These investments will allow us accelerate the expansion of our fleet and grow," said Renan Chieppe, chairman of Trip's board of directors.
Trip Linhas Aereas SA is dwarfed in Brazil by market leaders Tam Linhas Aereas SA and Gol Linhas Aereas Inteligentes SA.

But Trip has been expanding in recent years as Brazil's economy booms, and the carrier now serves 64 destinations across the Latin America's largest country, many of them small cities ignored larger competitors.
Its fleet consists of turboprop planes, but the company this year announced it would buy five Embraer 175 mid-range jets that seat up to 88 people.

SkyWest Airlines has 442 planes and operates as United Express, Delta Connection and Midwest Connect carriers under contractual agreements with United Airlines, Delta Air Lines and Midwest Airlines.
The stake SkyWest is buying in Trip is the maximum a foreign company can hold in a Brazilian airline.
Jerry Atkin, SkyWest's chief executive, said the companies negotiated for 16 months before reaching a deal.

"We concluded that there's a positive convergence of vision and interests between our two companies and that the deal will provide knowledge and experience to promote a regional aviation model in Brazil that we successfully developed in the American market," Atkin said.

Old News... How about SkyWest Inc. has a crapload of money in the bank, and want to invest some of it to make a profit... Sounds good to me!!

They took our hard earned money and bought ASA. It was a good investment. SkyWest has a way of making money, even when the US economy fluctuates. No big deal.

SkyWest buying stake in Brazil airline
Thursday September 4, 12:24 pm ET
By Alan Clendenning, AP Business Writer US-based SkyWest buying 20 percent stake in Brazil's regional Trip carrier
I see what you mean, man. Keeping SkyWest financially strong would be scary for any pilot there.....oh....maybe not. I've got to call ALPA to see what I think. I'll get back to you.

Wow Rez,

Did you come up with that all by yourself?

Prater called, his ALPO provided car needs washing, after losing all the dues from USair and America West looks like it's up to you.

And Worthless wants you to know how much he appreciates his lifetime pension on your dues.

CFIT-

I see all is well... can you detail the potential downside this could have on OO pilots? I am not saying it is probable... just what is possible...

Rez, Im sure a ALPA company has never bought a stake in another company :rolleyes:. The way I see it we get a bonus based off of the financial success of the company here. When this makes us money I will see a larger bonus in my hand. Is it new flying? No. Will it take my flying? No. Go start flame someplace else.

seems like a smart call, SKYW has leases that are longer than their codeshare agreements. There is no chance that any major is going to extend 50 seat flying. Finding a home for those AC until they come off lease is a smart move - like it or not it is a good strategic decision

Latest resources

Back