Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest showing videos of crippled folks and.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Copy and valid.

You are missing a valid point....

As much as Skywest pilots look and act the part of professionals, they have no method to enforce it. Meaning they have no CBA and no ASAP program. OO pilots can talk the talk but they cannot walk the walk. Same with JB and VA pilots.

SkyWest Pilots have had an ASAP program in effect for nearly 3 years, it has been called a model of what can be doen to promote pilots and safety by the FAA director himself. AS far as a CBA, our is as established as much as anybody else's, managemnt can and will subdue the rules here and at any other place, ALPA or not. ASA had over 18,000 policy greivences dismissed by voting in their last contract. Calling JB,VA, and OO pilots unprofessional, is by and far a disgrace. But to be safe please tell all your ALPA bretheren to avoid our jumpseats, cause you it's just unsafe, right?

As the PIC I have been pushed by management to operate my jet counter to my professional instinct. However, I knew that with a CBA and ASAP that I would be protected. My CBA states that the PIC is the unquestioned authority on the aircraft. While the FARs also state that, and OO pilots might feel that is adequate protection... it is... when dealing with the FAA. However, your employment is something else... The FAA might be satisfied that you operated safely, but they do not care if you fly again and the Feds won't protect your paycheck.

You were pushed by your management? I thought you said your mighty ALPA shield stops all that. It's what have told us we would have if we joined your happy rim job club? You said all that stops with ALPA protection? ALPA doesn't care about me or my paycheck, it is nothing more than a business that needs income, you can't tell me I need ALPA more than it needs me when they spent over 6 million dollars on the last union drive, it's called return on investment, right?

In addition, Doctors and Lawyers have Associations to represent them on CapHill.

Again, it has to do with the ability to tell a manager no, who is pushing you as PIC to operate against your desire for safety. In the end, when push comes to shove, Skywest pilots cannot do that.

Conduct and image is one a part of professionalism, but backing it up with a CBA, ASAP and the ability to influence federal law and policy is where the real professionals operate.

Sorry, but there is an entire world outside of SGU. I've discussed CapHill, but as the industry truely goes global, the ability to represent the profession will be critical. Skywest JB and VA pilots are not Amish. Rather more like Native Americans who must adapt or be sequestered to the reservation.

It can be, if the OO pilot so do want to.

There's a world past Herndon too.

Bottom line Rez, you single handedly, have poisended your own well with your hate and negative diatribe torwards SkyWest, JB, Virgin and the Military, I suppose you can put SouthWest and American in there too. You have easily killed more support for you organization than you can imagine. Maybe direct your efforts to fixing you glee club and the presidents 500 thousand dollar a year plus salary and lifetime pension pay check or even 140k a year salary Jan the Journalist makes for his ad hoc piece on "Timmy is ALPA" disgrace. (has he been fired yet?)

There's a good reason nearly 3000 pilots overwhelmingly didn't vote in ALPA, because of people like you and the fact that you can't admit that ALPA has failed. It simply cannot represent the regional pilot and the legacy pilot, it's a conflict of interest, it's a big business with huge salaries thriving on it's past that overlooks today.

Rez, the milk has soured, putting back in the fridge isn't going to fix it. You have to throw it out, really.

As much as Skywest pilots look and act the part of professionals, they have no method to enforce it. Meaning they have no CBA and no ASAP program. OO pilots can talk the talk but they cannot walk the walk. Same with JB and VA pilots.

Just a little tip...if you are trying to convince OO pilots to join ALPA, might I suggest calling 2900 potential members unprofesssional might not be the direction Herndon wants you to go. As a former ALPA member and a current SkyWest pilot, I can tell you that your last few statements about us not being professional are personally offensive and turning people away from the very organization you want them to join.

Your argument is that a union pilot and a non-union pilot who do everything identically results in the union pilot being a professional and the non-union pilot being unprofessional. We don't have a CBA, we don't have a voice on capitol hill and therefore we are unprofessional. Hogwash.

As the PIC I have been pushed by management to operate my jet counter to my professional instinct. However, I knew that with a CBA and ASAP that I would be protected. My CBA states that the PIC is the unquestioned authority on the aircraft. While the FARs also state that, and OO pilots might feel that is adequate protection... it is... when dealing with the FAA. However, your employment is something else... The FAA might be satisfied that you operated safely, but they do not care if you fly again and the Feds won't protect your paycheck.

Again, it has to do with the ability to tell a manager no, who is pushing you as PIC to operate against your desire for safety. In the end, when push comes to shove, Skywest pilots cannot do that.

You are talking about what happens after you make the decision. Professionalism is what occurs in leading up to and in making the decision. You should NEVER be making safety of flight decisions based upon a CBA. You are right that we don't have a CBA to protect us if management doesn't like our decision, but I will always make the tough call if I need to. Regardless of whether or not I am called onto the carpet to answer for it ...maybe I even lose my job. I am professional enough to make the right call even if I don't have a union to back me up. Things are a little tougher here at SkyWest because of the fact that we can't hide behind a CBA. We have to make the decisions on our own and sometimes your job might hang in the balance, but that doesn't mean we don't make the same decisions a union pilot would make. I can tell you that life would be easier and better with a union though, and I wish we had one.

Look ...... They do NOT have you recite the "Creed". They just read it off and mention that the pilot profession does not have a "Creed".

In my class, most of us, rolled our eyes and doodled on on scratch pieces of paper.

You can leave the class. But miss out on the (5) hours of pay for being a "mandatory volunteer" on your day off.

SkyWest Pilots have had an ASAP program in effect for nearly 3 years, it has been called a model of what can be doen to promote pilots and safety by the FAA director himself. AS far as a CBA, our is as established as much as anybody else's, managemnt can and will subdue the rules here and at any other place, ALPA or not. ASA had over 18,000 policy greivences dismissed by voting in their last contract. Calling JB,VA, and OO pilots unprofessional, is by and far a disgrace. But to be safe please tell all your ALPA bretheren to avoid our jumpseats, cause you it's just unsafe, right?

Who is your union rep at the ASAP table? It is usually comprised of the company, union and FAA? Who is this pilot rep on the ASAP ERC?

I've listed why OO, JB and VA pilots are not professionals. They can't create and enforce their own CBA, code, work rules, and they don't have representation on CapHill, ICAO, etc...

Yes, it really is that simple...

You were pushed by your management? I thought you said your mighty ALPA shield stops all that.

Perhaps you have a comprehension problem. I said I was pushed but my CBA supported my PIC decision. Look, we've heard about the firings at OO without due process.

It's what have told us we would have if we joined your happy rim job club? You said all that stops with ALPA protection? ALPA doesn't care about me or my paycheck, it is nothing more than a business that needs income, you can't tell me I need ALPA more than it needs me when they spent over 6 million dollars on the last union drive, it's called return on investment, right?

Untrue... saying ALPA is a business sounds witty in the crewroom and cockpits but it simply isn't.....

As stated before OO pilots would gain more value than dues they would give. So what kind of business takes on an "asset" that doesn't produce revenue?

In addition as I already told you, many legacy pilots are questioning why they are supporting regionals financially. Knowing that, why would ALPA pursue OO of they are a politically liability?
There's a world past Herndon too.
Agreed. Again, I already told you, that world is CapHill. In addition, ICAO and the global market place are also the world in which the airline pilot profession functions and will be made or broken.

Bottom line Rez, you single handedly, have poisended your own well with your hate and negative diatribe torwards SkyWest, JB, Virgin and the Military, I suppose you can put SouthWest and American in there too. You have easily killed more support for you organization than you can imagine. Maybe direct your efforts to fixing you glee club and the presidents 500 thousand dollar a year plus salary and lifetime pension pay check or even 140k a year salary Jan the Journalist makes for his ad hoc piece on "Timmy is ALPA" disgrace. (has he been fired yet?)

Again... hating me is great for your denial. You have no voice, no representation, you are told what is your "creed". You have no way to enforce your PIC authority. Roger Cohen is your man and you are his boy.

There's a good reason nearly 3000 pilots overwhelmingly didn't vote in ALPA, because of people like you and the fact that you can't admit that ALPA has failed. It simply cannot represent the regional pilot and the legacy pilot, it's a conflict of interest, it's a big business with huge salaries thriving on it's past that overlooks today.
"3000" pilots voted down b/c they can get the milk for free. Glad you brought up regional representation. I am still waiting to hear your pragmatism on a regional pilots union. If it is such a great idea, then where is it? And what do you have to offer in terms of a budget?

Rez, the milk has soured, putting back in the fridge isn't going to fix it. You have to throw it out, really.
I'd adopt this mentality if I was a OO pilot. Autonomy and professionalism are not going to happen for years at OO, JB and VA, if at all. Somehow you have to justify your reality and hating ALPA is it. Which is interesting... if you've stayed clear of ALPA, why are you so defensive about being non union? All you've got is a pledge/creed and wage slave status.

Just a little tip...if you are trying to convince OO pilots to join ALPA, might I suggest calling 2900 potential members unprofesssional might not be the direction Herndon wants you to go. As a former ALPA member and a current SkyWest pilot, I can tell you that your last few statements about us not being professional are personally offensive and turning people away from the very organization you want them to join.
I am not trying to convince 2900 pilots to do anything. OO is not coming to ALPA for a long time, if at all IMHO. Call Dave Bourne, he'll be happy to take your dues.

The problem is OO rejection of ALPA is offensive to me. That rejection is based upon an attitude and emotion of 'why buy the cow, the milk is free' and the Mesa/TSA pilots who came over to OO that are disillusioned with ALPA because of Orenstein and Hulas. Is ALPA responsible for JO/Hulas being tools? OO pilots are freeloaders. You are offended? Now you understand that everyday you offend pilots that work to make the profession better and OO pilots gain from it. So we're both offended. Fair?

Your argument is that a union pilot and a non-union pilot who do everything identically results in the union pilot being a professional and the non-union pilot being unprofessional. We don't have a CBA, we don't have a voice on capitol hill and therefore we are unprofessional. Hogwash.
Fine. You disagree.. but tell me why. Hogwash isn't a reason why. I have no doubt that OO pilots strive everyday to be and act professional. One attribute of professionalism is the public interest. How can the OO pilots put the public's interest first when management controls the operation and wants to put profit first?

With all due respect to OO pilots but 2900 pilots and creed are not going to stop a huge corporation who is a vendor to multinational, global corporations (DAL/UAL) whose primary function is to satisfy shareholders and CEO compensation packages. Seriously, can you reconcile this? Are you telling me that 2900 pilots many of them 20 something kids who have no clue are formidable force against Jerry who is DAL/UAL's stable pony?

You are talking about what happens after you make the decision. Professionalism is what occurs in leading up to and in making the decision.
Correct and that is my point. OO pilots don't make that decision. OO managers do. Anyone can fly a jet. The system is designed to accommodate the LCD. However, when the operation gets tricky that is when the tough decisions come out and so do the management minions, ready to push you to operate the jet for a few extra dollars. UAL/DAL want their regional jets flying and Jerry wants his money.

You should NEVER be making safety of flight decisions based upon a CBA.
I never said one should. What I said was, I make my own professional choices regardless of what some manager tool wants me to do because I know I've got a CBA to back me up and protect my employment.

You are right that we don't have a CBA to protect us if management doesn't like our decision, but I will always make the tough call if I need to.Regardless of whether or not I am called onto the carpet to answer for it ...maybe I even lose my job. I am professional enough to make the right call even if I don't have a union to back me up.
That is a great attitude if you are 20 something. However, I would think a parent and a spouse who has to pay student laons, bills and needs healthcare would think twice about standing up to the company who would fire him to make a point. Then if you have a termination on record, can you get hired again as a pilot. Will your student loans be for naught? It has happened at OO and it will again.

Things are a little tougher here at SkyWest because of the fact that we can't hide behind a CBA.
Hide? I never hid behind my CBA, rather I carried it with me and used it.

We have to make the decisions on our own and sometimes your job might hang in the balance, but that doesn't mean we don't make the same decisions a union pilot would make. I can tell you that life would be easier and better with a union though, and I wish we had one.
Fair enough. I wish OO pilots were part of the profession. It helps when everyone is on board when dealing with management (ATA/RAA) and govt.

I always enjoy how Rez tap dances and avoids explaining the disgusting salaries and bonuses the management at ALPO national leach from it's members.

Jan the journalist, that wrote "Timmy is ALPA" gets 140K a year of dues.

Prater the "prez" gets over 500K in his compensation package, and Rez says it's not a business?

Maybe Rez is getting rides on Praters yatch, or mustach? Why the wife like support?

BORING! Nobody likes to read your sh!t. IT'S BORING!!! Why don't keep your ALPA love to PMs.

eP.

Some of what Rez says is true but the benefits he speaks of could really apply if their was any union at Skywest. I don't think Rez means any union, he means ALPA. I am pretty sure if OO went Teamsters or created a Skywest Pilots Association he would on here berating you like he has with American or the USAPA. Rez is not ALPA, at least not the ALPA I know. I don't think your typical ALPA member violates the ALPA Code of Ethics so frequently by insulting or belittling other members of our profession, or shows outright disdain for military pilots when about 40% of ALPA is former military. I don't think the average ALPA member, or person for that matter, thinks you have to be in a union to be a professional.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water or let one bad clown spoil the whole circus. ALPA members for the most part are professional, helpful and pragmatic, willing to work together with ALL pilots to improve our profession. Just like Skywest pilots don't like being called unprofessional for not living up to Rez's standards, ALPA members don't all like being lumped in with his kind of boorish behavior.

That being said Rez does bring up some valid points if you wade through his animus. I think things would be a lot easier on you guys with representation of some sort. I am sure ALPA will support your efforts even if you decide to go Teamsters or form your own association.

I always enjoy how Rez tap dances and avoids explaining the disgusting salaries and bonuses the management at ALPO national leach from it's members.

Jan the journalist, that wrote "Timmy is ALPA" gets 140K a year of dues.

Prater the "prez" gets over 500K in his compensation package, and Rez says it's not a business?

Maybe Rez is getting rides on Praters yatch, or mustach? Why the wife like support?

probably as true as this:

Looks like they are being forced into Health Spending Accounts (HSAs). This means BIG savings for the company at the expense of the employees. Loss of crew cars on overnights, Ready Reserve, the bucket system, PBS, 90 seaters for 50 seat pay, BHO, Employee Stock Purchase, Stock Grants, HSA...Where will it end guys? I remember when Jerry told us we would the highest paid pilots in the Regional industry.

I've listed why OO, JB and VA pilots are not professionals.

This post lists why you are not a professional. Seriously dude for once STFU. You are making all of ALPA look bad. We are not supposed to belittle other members of our profession in this manner. Keep these kinds of comments to yourself, even if this is an anonymous message board, or better yet tell them to the Captain next time you try to jumpseat on Skywest or JetBlue.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back