Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest showing videos of crippled folks and.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
what I don't quite get is that skw has been running this class for well over a year now, so how come all this hoopla now? Granted, until this winter it was a captain class... The content was almost exactly the same. The big difference? the 'oath' states: 'I am a Captain' instead of ' I am a First Officer'... I've been through it and the oath is really too much. cheesiness abounds. The rest of the material though is interesting.
that said: if it is a valid product, then it makes sense that it be offered to CA and FO, and eventually to FA's, since the topics have to do with work ethics and crew issues, not aviation per se...
If it isn't, then why hasn't anybody complained until now?

Same guys who had the same 2 questions on these forums...
1) How long is the upgrade?
2) Do I need a college degree?

Spells it out pretty well the caliber of pilots coming in.

what I don't quite get is that skw has been running this class for well over a year now, so how come all this hoopla now? Granted, until this winter it was a captain class... The content was almost exactly the same. The big difference? the 'oath' states: 'I am a Captain' instead of ' I am a First Officer'... I've been through it and the oath is really too much. cheesiness abounds. The rest of the material though is interesting.
that said: if it is a valid product, then it makes sense that it be offered to CA and FO, and eventually to FA's, since the topics have to do with work ethics and crew issues, not aviation per se...
If it isn't, then why hasn't anybody complained until now?

Because pilot professionalism is the buzz topic in DC. While OO pilots think the center of the universe is SGU, their careers are made or hindered in DC.

The NTSB is having a three day symposium on pilot professionalism. (but the OO Student Council knew this..... correct?) Significant changes are to the CFRs are sought to address experience, qualifications and yes, professionalism. Will the OO pilots be represented at the NTSB symposium on pilot professionalism? Or does the Oath satisfy the OO pilots as an example of SGU pilot professionalism?

The FAA Administrator has sent the word down for airlines to better professionalism. This is why OO is doing this.

Managements spend money for two reasons: they believe they will make more money or they've been mandated to do it. Knowing this one could understand why their are associations such as the RAA, ATA and ALPA. These groups seek to influence govt mandates in their favor.

Because pilot professionalism is the buzz topic in DC. While OO pilots think the center of the universe is SGU, their careers are made or hindered in DC.

The NTSB is having a three day symposium on pilot professionalism. (but the OO Student Council knew this..... correct?) Significant changes are to the CFRs are sought to address experience, qualifications and yes, professionalism. Will the OO pilots be represented at the NTSB symposium on pilot professionalism? Or does the Oath satisfy the OO pilots as an example of SGU pilot professionalism?

The FAA Administrator has sent the word down for airlines to better professionalism. This is why OO is doing this.

Managements spend money for two reasons: they believe they will make more money or they've been mandated to do it. Knowing this one could understand why their are associations such as the RAA, ATA and ALPA. These groups seek to influence govt mandates in their favor.

And while CA pay and benefits are lacking for the level of responsibility in the ever increasing size of so call regional jets, the FO pay and benefits remain pathetic at Skywest and most other similar carriers. So when an airline plays the game of we'd like you stay for our goody gum drop class on inspirational behavior, it's just another ground stop program to real life meaningful professional motivation recognition like quality pay, benefits, and respect for operational crew safety decisions like fatigue calls or go/no-go decisions.

ALL RIGHT HERE IS THE WHOLE CREED:

-----------------------------------------

SkyWest First Officer's Creed

No one is more professional than I. I am a First Officer - a member of the flight crew whose purpose is to keep my passengers, crew, and airplane safe.

My decisions are the difference between life and death for both my passengers and my company.

I am the master of my emotions. No one controls my mood but me.

I will conduct myself to bring credit to myself, my Company and my profession at all times.

I will not compromise my integrity or safety for any reason.

I am a leader. I am a professional. I am a First Officer.

-------------------------------------

I just barfed on the keyboard

Why do they keep captializing First Officer?

I guess maybe thats part of our "total compensation package"

Thanks chip (away)!

This statement couldn't be further from the truth for most of us.
Who is "us"?

The OO Student Council speaks for OO pilots. But not really.

Management does. And in Wash DC, OO management has authorized Roger Cohen, RAA to speak for OO pilots on all govt policy and CFR including Part 121.

What is really sick is money that OO pilots make for OO is used to fund dues to the RAA. The RAA in turn goes to CapHill and lobbies Congress against the OO pilots.

Wage slavery at its best. Paying with your hard work and effort for the very shackles that prevent you from controlling your own profession.

There are many Skywest pilots that strive to be professional everyday, but the massive lead weight that is SGU will hold them back, until they collective decide to be their own autonomous group.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back