skywest question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just because I like to add to the confusion:

So far this year I am at around 32K total income. That includes per-diem and JRM pay. I am a 2nd year RJ FO at SkyWest ... @ 34.54/hr. Not sure how much I am "on target" to make, as I don't know if I can keep working like I have been. I do pick stuff up, and bid reserve "call-first" when they are short. Averaged 105 credit-hours per month for the last five months. I'm working hard...but I still have plenty of time off. Good luck.

NW

Minimums?

Anybody know the Min hours to apply?
I would love an ORD base since I live 15-20 minutes from the airport.
I'm at about 1750tt and 200 multi.
Thanks!

From www.skywest.com -

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PILOT - Professional Development Career Guide[/font]

To be considered for a Pilot position, you must meet the following requirements:
1,000 - hours total time
100 - hours multi engine

100 - hours instrument (Max 20 hours simulator)
Must be at least 21 years of age

All applicants will need a current first class medical (which will verified at your interview)
Must be a United States citizen or show proof of right to work in the US

SkyWest on AirlineApps.com?

Does anyone know if SkyWest is taking applications online from AirlineApps.com? I know Eagle gets them there (exclusively), as do a few other regionals. Does SkyWst ever make exceptions for newhire F/Os? (I have only 700 TT but 300 hrs of Citation PIC as a result of being typed at 350 TT). Is there anyway to point out to SkyWest why they ought not shy away from the low total time because of the recent jet time?

And do new SkyWest hires have much say in where they're based?

Thanks!

Rogue5, corndog

Thanks Rogue5. I have a friend or two that worked at Skywest, and I'll see about getting my stuff in.

Corndog, how in the world did you get all that turbine time and in all the different types you list with so few hours? You're one lucky guy, I guess....

CornDog One said:
(I have only 700 TT but 300 hrs of Citation PIC as a result of being typed at 350 TT). Is there anyway to point out to SkyWest why they ought not shy away from the low total time because of the recent jet time?
Thanks!
Hmmm.... I don't know how to put this in a nice way but I think that kind of time in your logbook would be a MAJOR red-flag to anyone looking to hire a pilot. True, it may be legal, but no one believes a 700 hr pilot has 300 legitimate hours of PIC jet time (i.e. acted as "Captain"). Feel free to discuss the difference between legal and legitimate, but I promise the HR people at any airline surely can tell the difference. Everyone works up through a normal progression: learn to fly, CFI, haul cargo/135 PAX, or some variation on those themes. Anything glaringly different from that schedule indicates someone who wants to take shortcuts, log less than legit time, whatever. Regardless of what you call it, these are no qualities you want in a person you hand over the keys to your $25 million jet with 50 PAX on board.

Also, I have never known SKYW to hire anyone with less than the stated mins. Right at mins, yes, but there are just too many qualified, experienced and legitimate pilots out there who will do better in training and add more to the flight-deck decision making process sooner to hire anything else.

Keep flying, gather experience, become a better more well-rounded pilot.

P.S. Resumes have only been accepted through internal referrals. The online app section has been taken down and will only be back up when the need for unsolicited applicants arises.

Right time, right place!

Skyrtr,

You're right about the "lucky" part. But I've worked hard to be where I am. I got typed in the Citations at 350TT -- the toughest 2 weeks of my life! Then I immediately got hired as a Citation 560/501 f/o, where I've been since then. Occasionally I pinch hit in the King Airs and Barons. Indeed I've been fortunate, but it's tricky getting Regionals to take me seriously with only 700TT. And I only fly about 30 hours a month, which doesn't help the situation....

Do you know of any Regionals that might be interested in having me aboard? I'd prefer to be somewhere in the West....

Cheers!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back