Skywest Pay Vote in Effect

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
vtech said:
In 2000, Skywest matched Comair's rates dollar for dollar.

That's great...but Comair's strike that resulted in their then-industry leading CBA didn't start until March 2001. Did SKW match Comair's rates when they were flying 70 seat jets for 50 seat pay?

I've got dozens of friends who work for Skywest, and their all universally pleased with their work environment...but its blatantly naive to think the compensation of Skywest pilots hasn't risen over the last decade as a direct result of the gains made by ALPA-represented regional carriers during their contract negotiations.

And likewise other regionals have benefitted from Skywest compensations. Skywest was the first regional to get 100% DH pay. Skywest was the first regional to get Premium pay (i.e. 1 min. pay for 1 min duty over 12 hours). Skywest is still the only regional to pay 4+ hours on 6 holidays whether or not it is worked (a roughly 2.5% pay increase for roughly 66% of the pilots who never have to work those days).

I am sure you can find items in each regionals contracts that have been helpful to others. I think it is less a function of ALPA than some are wanting to state though. Not that ALPA hasn't been a necessary organization at many carriers, but it is not the end all for every one of them either.

Polls closed with all precincts reporting. Pay package voted down. Hope voting this down is a big step in raising the bar for everyone.

Latest resources

Back