• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest or Comair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SkyWest has been in the RJ buisness for awhile also. I believe since 94. We also are hiring at a good clip. With the advantage of all profits going to D comes risk also. Second year pay is however a bit less at 34.54/hr in the jet. We have far more domociles than Comair. If one chooses, they can go back to the 120 for quick upgrade as there is no seatlock as applied to upgrade. pro's and cons either way.

Miller22 says ," If you want to fly for Delta later, come to Comair. Don't let General Lee scare you into thinking no Comair pilots will go to Delta. Even if the pilots had their self-proclaimed omnipotence and their propoganda was true that you'd never get a job at Delta through Comair, wait until the lists are one-in-the-same and you can just bid into the 767."

Sounds great, doesn't it Col Hogan? Wow - from the right seat of an RJ to the right seat of a 777 flying to Tokyo or London... It will NEVER EVER EVER EVER happen. Don't expect any date-of-hire merging of lists - the Delta pilots would NEVER allow it to happen. That is the biggest lie perpetuated by dillusional RJ pilots. If anything, and it would be a BIG stretch, there might be a staple to the very bottom of the list - but even that is highly unlikely... Do you think the last 1,500-2,000 pilots on the Delta seniority list (many of whom were hired in the past 3-4 years) would allow themselves to be bypassed using a date-of-hire merging of lists? Do you really think that would happen? Heck no!

I once heard a Comair captain state to a bunch of other pilots that he expected (he was very serious) to be a Delta 767 captain in 3-4 years - that was about 5 years ago.

I agree with General Lee on this one. The Delta pilots' union would NEVER stand for a date-of-hire merging of lists - probably not a merging of lists at all.... So, do not base your decision to go to Comair on any direct-to-767-FO-seat idea. If you are familiar with any of the recent Comair postings, you will also see that Delta's MEC is very, very upset with Comair due to their refusal to consider furloughed Delta pilots for open seats (unlike ASA). I doubt having Comair on your resume will help you gain a Delta seat in the near future... That is what I am hearing from my MANY friends who fly for Delta - they are genuinely UPSET. So, if given the choice, go to Skywest - at least the Delta option would be open to you in the next decade after the 1,000+ furloughees are all brought back...

Miller22 - you are trying to be objective but instead you are demonstrating your lack of logic and realism. The Delta pilots would never allow a merging of lists like you suggest - and you should know that - ask ANY Delta pilot... Be realistic...

Just my 2 cents...

The thread has deteriorated....

Ok, I'll answer Col Hogan's original question. Both companies are good choices. Both will be around for a while. Both companies have first rate employees. I'm at Comair and have many friends at Skywest.

The choice at this point is where do you want to live? I wouldn't look too far down the line at this point since the industry changes so rapidly. I'd go with domicile.

Hope this helps and good luck!

1 for 5

Thanks for the reply's, all good info! I have no plans to go to the major's, I would by very happy at a regional! Back in the 70's when Northeast Airlines merged with Delta Airlines, with the exception of the first 100-200 guys on Delta, the list was merged generally 1 for 5. ( 1 northeast per 5 delta) Do you think any merger of the Comair-Delta list would happen along these lines? Hog

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I was just adding my 2 cents. General Lee may be crass at times, but he is correct in this assessment - despite what Miller22 or Surplus1 have to say... Ask any Delta pilot and he/she will concur.

I just don't believe that Miller22 was being realistic - that date-of-hire merging of lists will not happen despite what hopeful regional pilots think. Delta's mainline pilots will never allow it. If Comair and ASA were integrated using a date-of-hire policy, then current or furloughed MD-88 FOs could conceivably be bumped to the Brasilia FO position based on their date of hire - right? Wrong. That just won't happen - regardless of what Miller22 or any other Comair pilot says. I am being realistic - forget that as a likely consideration...

As far as choosing one vs. another, if you like primarily West Coast flying (with some Southeast flying in the mix) and you don't mind flying a Brasilia for a while, then Skywest would be your choice. If you want to live in the Midwest or East and fly mainly CRJs (50 and 70 seaters), then Comair would be your choice. I know a few Skywest RJ pilots who live in Tucson (new base) and Santa Barbara and they LOVE it. It would be a great place to be until the majors start hiring again in 5-8 years after all of the furloughees are flying again...

Good luck

During the Northwest/ Republic Airlines merger some date of hire was alloted but fences were put in at various points along the way. These fences essentially limited "heavy" flying to Northwest only pilots unless you were one of the most senior guys from Republic and even then there were restrictions. There was a lot of bad blood and nasty things said (primarily form Northwest guys directed toward Republic guys) for a long time. I do know a Republic guy that ended up number one at Northwest his last three years flying the Whale but this was fairly uncommon. One thing is for sure and that is if a Comair intergration ever does take place things will get ugly regarding working conditions.

I thought this was about Skywest vs. Comair. Not Delta vs. Comair...which, somehow, is what every thread deteriorates into.

And somehow there always seems to be propoganda slipped in:

"If you want to eventually possibly end up with Delta, go to Skywest."

"That is the biggest lie perpetuated by dillusional RJ pilots."

Frankly, I don't want the lists merged since it would put me out of a job. I guess heavyset "assumed" I did. Just because I think it will happen doesn't mean I want it to. Its frustrating how the Comair-bashers always seem to comb through the threads (that have nothing to do with them) to see where they can do their worst. It only took two replies on this particular thread. Unfortunately it takes much more self-discipline than I have to read this and not let it go. Perhaps I'll try harder.

You know General Lee and Heavy set, I too am tired of hearing the overdone banter and bashing of the "blacklisted" Comair pilots. You've made your point. All Comair pilots are screwed if they ever want to be hired by Delta. Got it! No need to beat everyone over the head with it every dam n night! :mad:

I agree with what the Delta pilots have been telling me all along. If any Comair pilot wishes to go to Delta, he should apply and follow all of their rules with reguard to their former employment. My question is, why wouldn't that be the same with respect to Delta pilots coming to Comair?

Last edited:
Heavy Set said:
That is the biggest lie perpetuated by dillusional RJ pilots.

A dillusionalpilot - is that a pilot who thinks he's a pickle? Sorry couldn't resist. Must be the former English teacher in me.

Latest resources

Back