Skywest on the Prowl

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BlueRidger

I am surprised no one on this web board jumped on this. Especially the last two paragraphs about Sky West wanting to buy someone. There is little else more fun in this industry than rampant merger rumor.

Reuters
SkyWest sees United deal intact in case of Ch. 11
Friday November 15, 12:23 pm ET

NEW YORK, Nov 15 (Reuters) - SkyWest Inc., (NasdaqNM:SKYW - News) a regional airline operator that flies small aircraft for Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL - News) and United Airlines, is confident its contract with United would stay intact if the airline filed for bankruptcy, a SkyWest executive said on Friday.
ADVERTISEMENT

No. 2 U.S. airline United, the main operating unit of UAL Corp. (NYSE:UAL - News), is in talks with lenders to arrange for up to $2 billion in loans to keep its business running if it files for bankruptcy.

The airline is working to secure more concessions from its employees, along with $1.8 billion in federal loan guarantees. But United executives have said the company may have to file for bankruptcy if the financing bids fail.

SkyWest runs about 35 percent of its regional jet flights for United, SkyWest Vice President of Finance and Assistant Treasurer Michael Kraupp told analysts at the Salomon Smith Barney Transportation Conference in Key Biscayne, Florida.

Many of SkyWest's upcoming airplane deliveries are aimed at expanding that business, he said, particularly out of Denver, a United hub.

"We've certainly had some discussions with United," Kraupp said. "We would hope and anticipate that the arrangement would be the same under a United bankruptcy, if that were to happen."

He said the status of SkyWest's contract with United, if the carrier filed for bankruptcy, could be determined right away as United asks a court for permission to pay certain vendors to maintain its operations.

Kraupp said he believed SkyWest's relationship with United was similar to that of a fuel vendor, who would be granted payment as soon as possible.

"What's going to be key is what happens that very first day," Kraupp said. "If United does file for bankruptcy, we believe that our contract would continue to stay intact, and that we would continue to fly for them. United publicly has stated that the regional jets are part of the solution, not part of the problem."

Regional jets, which generally seat 50 or 70 passengers instead of hundreds, are cheaper to operate and can allow airlines to run flights in markets with too few travelers to support larger planes.

As the airline industry environment has deteriorated, nearly all of the major airlines have turned toward bigger fleets of regional jets as a potential way to cut costs and sustain revenue.

Kraupp said SkyWest was also in a position to be "acquisition-minded."

"We feel we're a pretty good candidate to go out and look at some other entities" to build growth," he said.

Be careful, and don't read to much into the interview. Down in St. George (Mecca, HDQ) doesn't tell us much till it happens. They always through out feelers to see what peoples reaction to it is. I do know that SkyWest has $600 mil. in cash in the bank and around $220mil. in downpayments for the CRJs that are coming. Which this equals over $800 mil. in cash that we could go out and buy someone. I do know this, our new hangar that was built last year in SLC could fit a couple of 737's in it????? Anyways enough of the rumours. SkyWest is very conservitive Mormon run airline, I cann't see SkyWest buying United or anything as such. Jerry doesn't want a union if at all costs. He is having fun with the company now, why ruin it with a purchase like that?

KKFA-

I'd have to agree with you. I think SkyWest has been pretty conservative and cautious with its decision making. We sure didn't jump on the bandwagon with that whole j4j deal with USAirways. I am curious to see how thw DAL, CAL, NWA alliance will affect us. Maybe we will acquire a regional in the NE or midwest to kind of fit in with the new alliance?

flyskyw-

First off, in what way do you see SkyWest as being bold? We pretty much do what Delta and United tell us to do.
Also, do you actually fly for SkyWest? Your quote:
Yes HDQ is in Utah, but thats SkyWests only similarity to the LDS church (other than they are both corporations).
If you don't fly for SkyWest but wish to in the future, a little advice: probably not good idea comparing the LDS church to a corporation. I'm not LDS but I have many friends(fellow SkyWest pilots) that are, don't think they would like the comparison (just a guess, don't really know though). Also, the company was started by mormons and continues to be run by several LDS folks - super people. :)

If anything I'd have to say I'd like to see SkyWest become more bold in their business ventures, probably not aquire United but maybe, oh lets say, USAirways. :D

Anything's possible but..

What's really up for sale right now? Realistically for Skyw, I mean. I doubt that they're interested in buying UA, and if they were it would only be an equity piece ala Mesa for increased control. Outside of UsAirways' possibly looking to sell a WO(which have no SJ's), or another portion of Eagle being spun off what else is really out there?

Since growth with fixed fee for departure contracts will end in 2004 who is to say the $600 million in cash that SkyWest has will be spent on acquiring an airline. Maybe they will diversify and buy a DotGone company or a Pepsi distribution company. If I had $600 million in the bank I wouldn't buy an airline and put that money at risk and then try finding my own passengers like Alaska, JetBlue or SouthWest.

Fixed fee flying is easy, at risk flying is hard.

When things go bad with FFF you blame UAL/DAL and when it goes good you are geniuses. When ARF goes bad you can only blame yourself and that is something they do not like to do.

Maybe they will use $250 million or so and buy their own stock so that the insiders who have very lucrative options become even more lucrative.

Is it just me? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
CRJ...

The LDS church is in fact a corporation. It is a very large one. If you dont beleive me just drive thru downtown SLC. After you do that explain to me why they have the largest buildings in town!

see ya

Latest resources

Back