• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EngineOut

Time to Make the Donuts!
SkyWest new-hire here...

Is my first class medical allowed to degrade to a 2nd as an FO? My first class expires before I finish training and wanted to know if I should just go ahead and get it renewed now. I know some regionals work it this way...how about OO?

Thanks.

I would check your study packet and see if there's any info in there. I believe you just need to be eligible for a first class. I'll do some research, though.

FO's only need a 2nd class medical, so you should be fine for 6 more months. It's still a 1st class medical, you're just using the privileges of a 2nd class.

Last edited:
SKYW Pilot said:
I would check your study packet and see if there's any info in there. I believe you just need to be eligible for a first class. I'll do some research, though.

I rechecked the "Welcome Aboard" packet and saw no reference to the medical at all. Got some good info on the "lunch wagon," however :)

Check the reg in part 61. I believe after your first class medical expires after 12 cal months it becomes a 3rd class. It's still a 1st class medical but you have 3rd class privileges. It's a 3rd class for an additional 24 cal months if your undr 40 and 12 mos. if over. I'm not 100% sure but check the reg.

EngineOut said:
SkyWest new-hire here...

Is my first class medical allowed to degrade to a 2nd as an FO?

Yes.

1st class needed to interview.

2nd class needed to act as Second in Command.

Actually they want a current 1st class when you start ground school....after that you can let it go for a year at a time......if you're already in ground school and already gave them copies of your stuff, you're good for another 6 months...

SBD said:
Check the reg in part 61. I believe after your first class medical expires after 12 cal months it becomes a 3rd class. It's still a 1st class medical but you have 3rd class privileges. It's a 3rd class for an additional 24 cal months if your undr 40 and 12 mos. if over. I'm not 100% sure but check the reg.

Wrong. Go hit the book.

1st class privileges for the first 6 months, 2nd class for another 6, then third class after that.

Latest resources

Back