• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest may seek merger with rival airline ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who knows. This same question was asked just a few years ago regarding United and Delta. Now everyone is flying these aircraft and will probably be flying larger ones for them too. Everyone laughed whenever anyone would dare suggest that the regionals could be flying these types of aircraft. "Bigger then 50 seaters; never going to happen!", they would say.

True, Skywest doesn't want to add any new aircraft to its fleet for various reasons(though the E170 and E190 was recently added to the payscale), some as you mention but everything is negotiable and if it suits CAL, they'll make the change anyway they have to. Just ask the pilots at Delta and United how management twisted, bent, manipulated and negotiatied larger aircraft for the regionals. So even if XJT keeps their flying, what makes you think CAL won't award addition flying to other regionals using other type aircraft?

The E170 and E175 were included...not the E190!

ExpressJet has very little DCI flying (the LAX flying is eventually going back to Skywest, Inc.) and nor does their failing branded flying threaten anyone. Skywest will eventually get Continental flying without ExpressJet.

I'd be really interested in your source for this information.

One more thing; When Continental opens up a base at LAX in 2009 or 2010, lets see who gets the flying out of there. Do you have any idea why Skywest fought and recently got reprieve from the exclusivity clause with United and Delta out of LAX?

I'd be really interested in your source for this information. I'm not saying to wont ever happen. I know its a rumor thats been around for at least 3 years. By the way, XJT (and I beleive Eagle) already does CAL flying out of LAX.

Expressjet has a market cap of about $126 million. And how much more than that do you think the company is worth?

I don't know how much more but there is certainly a premium anytime someone tries to buy out another company. Also, according to XJT 3rd Qtr report, they have $656,878,000 in total assets.

2. They a/c that will/if/may be removed from XJT will be returned to CAL. CAL is the lessor so they will need to place those a/c an a new program or PARK THEM AND PAY THE LEASES!. I seriously doubt they would park the a/c, sign a deal with SKW to operate a different fleet. That would be very expensive.

XJT does not own the a/c. It leases all a/c from CAL. If a/c are removed they are simply returned to the lessor, CAL.

Just to clarify, XJT has the first right of refusal for all their aircraft. That is how CAL got stuck with 69 airplanes worth of flying without any airplanes to "give" to CHQ.

Ironically, CAL has a vested interest in XJT since XJT pays 100% off the leases on 274 of their aircraft.

Who are you calling dumba$$? You did read Bmpilot2003's and Bender's response, right?

One more thing; When Continental opens up a base at LAX in 2009 or 2010, lets see who gets the flying out of there. Do you have any idea why Skywest fought and recently got reprieve from the exclusivity clause with United and Delta out of LAX?

Glad to see the rumorville in Utah concerning a CAL base in LA is stronger then at, well Continental Airlines! See that rumor crops up at mainline occasionally and then peters out. Given the 787 delays and initial route projections, the only way you'll see CAL bigger in LA is through merger.

You seem to take ALPA giving up the 59 seat scope as a given and as a result a massive codeshare with Skywest to follow. I can assure the first assumption ain't gonna happen (thus making u an @ss). I hope for the profession's sake your second assumption doesn't come about.

Latest resources

Back