• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest may seek merger with rival airline ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When the PCL CNC goes to the bargaining table, PCL management doesn't throw down the GIA contract on the table. They throw down the Skywest "employee handbook" with the same payrates for 50-99 seat airplanes and say "the non-union Skywest pilots do it for the same rate, so you should too."
When Great Lakes, Big Sky and all the other 1900 operators go to the bargaining table they throw down the GIA contract and ask why they should pay FO's more than $15/hr when GIA has the FO's paying them

One time I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit there with my mind a complete blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper.

One day the teacher said "class...write a paper using your notes"

So, I wrote a paper that said "Hello! My name is Bingo. I like to climb on things. Can I have a bananna? EEK! EEK!"

I got an F.

When I told my mom about it, she said "I told you never trust a monkey!"

Thee end.

I wouldn't want to work for either. I don't trust the IBT to represent air line pilots, so it's barely more valuable than no representation at all. The possible exception would be at a large regional like RAH that has a large enough pilot group to draw resources from. At GIA, the IBT just doesn't work. They need a real union like ALPA to be effective at that airline.

So when IBT doesn't work at an airline, it is all the fault of the National IBT union....After all, you said it works at CHQ, and we know it works at Horizon.... The Horizon IBT pilots make about 20 bucks an hour more to fly the 700 than any other ALPA carrier.... In fact the highest paid 700 pilots are CHQ and Horizon, both IBT.....But when there is a failure at an ALPA carrier, it is all the fault of the pilots at that carrier and ALPA National bears no blame....

A little bit of a double standard there don't ya think....

If Gulfstream was ALPA, you would blame the pilots of Gulfstream.....Since they are IBT, it is the fault of IBT..... You must be on the Herndon payroll.....

By the way you said it was better to have a "legally binding contract".....Gulfstream has that.....Which one would you rather work for....Gulfstream or Skywest? Answer the question......

When Great Lakes, Big Sky and all the other 1900 operators go to the bargaining table they throw down the GIA contract and ask why they should pay FO's more than $15/hr when GIA has the FO's paying them

OUCH!!!! That's going to leave a mark.......

GIA FOs are the highest paid BE1900 FOs in the industry, so I doubt management at any other carriers will be trying to emulate the GIA contract.

GIA FOs are the highest paid BE1900 FOs in the industry, so I doubt management at any other carriers will be trying to emulate the GIA contract.

....not for the first 250 hours.....

By the way, non-union Colgan FOs make more than the union GIA FOs......

Last edited:
I know their FO's are the highest paying passengers. At GIA the numbers on the W2 are red. What does that program cost, $25K. So if a FO at Great Lakes makes $20K, they made 45K more than the GIA FO

So when IBT doesn't work at an airline, it is all the fault of the National IBT union....A little bit of a double standard there don't ya think....
Not really. The IBT simply isn't set up to represent air line pilots. I'm sure they do a great job for truckers, but pilots need representation that understands their career, especially at a small carrier like GIA that needs all the experienced help it can get. The IBT can't provide that help, but ALPA can. At carriers like Horizon and RAH, they have a large enough pilot group that they can mitigate this problem with the experience base that they have. GIA only has about 250 pilots, half of which are brand new to the industry. Not a very good knowledge base to run a union from without vast assistance from a national organization that understands pilot issues.
By the way you said it was better to have a "legally binding contract".....Gulfstream has that.....Which one would you rather work for....Gulfstream or Skywest? Answer the question......
I thought I did. I wouldn't work for either. I don't believe the union representation at GIA to be adequate, and Skywest doesn't have any at all. Neither carrier fits my needs, so I wouldn't work for either.

I know their FO's are the highest paying passengers. At GIA the numbers on the W2 are red. What does that program cost, $25K. So if a FO at Great Lakes makes $20K, they made 45K more than the GIA FO
From what I've been hearing, GIA can't fill PFT classes anymore. They are apparently hiring FOs off the street just like any other 1900 operator.

From what I've been hearing, GIA can't fill PFT classes anymore. They are apparently hiring FOs off the street just like any other 1900 operator.
I think Jet University stole all their potential business. With regional hiring with a wet commercial cert, I can't imagine GIA getting any more PFT'ers.

Latest resources

Back